This is a Thanks To Jeff

Paul Douglass

Jeff is right, doesn't seem to be much wood working posted lately, so I thought I post one. First the reason for the title is because Jeff is the one that got me interested and has made this a great project for me. I'm building one of Jeff's kayak. I have never attempted this kind of build before, and must say this is really fun. First I purchased his book to read. I used the offset tables from his book so I could do it all. Charted and made my own frames. Found a use for the wood quilt frames I've been storing for my wife for years (she doesn't know it yet) to make the stringers and Gunwales. So far this is what I have accomplished (pictures). I am at the point that after New Years, when I return home I can try my hand at sewing. Just got to say if any of you have been interested in building one of these kayaks, but not sure, give it a try. It is really fun. The people on Jeff's forum have helped me along, including Jeff, of coarse, and have had the answers to all my many questions. I'm even beginning to think it may float some day.

IMG_0390.jpgIMG_0389.jpg

Well, you're welcome. And nothing like seeing 'my boat' being built by others. But what I really looking forward to is seeing a photo you with an ear to ear grin when you hit the water. ;)

Looking great so far, Paul. :thumb:

I've had the opportunity to read Jeff's book before it was printed, and he's explained the process very well. Although seeing one of his boat build threads looks pretty daunting, his book breaks it down nicely into non-intimidating chunks. :yes: If I had the room, I'd love to try my hand at building one of Jeff's boats myself.

Well, you're welcome. And nothing like seeing 'my boat' being built by others. But what I really looking forward to is seeing a photo you with an ear to ear grin when you hit the water. ;)

Ahhhh, "hit the water"???:eek: Please define "hit the water"!! I said my paint scheme will include a bright orange bottom with HELP! written across it in big black letters!

Update: Took a while to get to this point. Had to take about 8 weeks off to recoup from some surgery but back at it now. All skinned and ready for painting and then outfitting. Oh, ya, got to make a paddle also.

IMG_0523s.JPG

Thank you for the comments. Jeff Bower, go for it. I have and am enjoying every aspect of this project. From drawing the patterns for the frames to sewing on the covering.

I am planning on using ZAR Ultra Poly on it with some stain in it. Unfortunately, no one sells it where I live, I will have to order it. That's a two week wait.

Be vewy, vewy caweful, kayaking can put you to sleep. Then you are shocked awake with a face plant in the water as you roll the kayak. Don’t ask me how I know. :eek:

Probably my final update but I wanted to show the finish of this adventure. All that is left is attaching the bungee cord to hold things with. I have to put this up there with the most enjoyable project I have taken on. I am already planning on how to convenience my wife there should be another one. Hope I enjoy using it as much as I did building it.

IMG_3054 500.jpg