Thread: Bone In New York Roast

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Bone In New York Roast

Never heard of one before but LOML came home with one and since it looked like a prime rib we fixed it just like a prime rib. It came out delicious and in fact we both agreed that might even have better flavor then a prime rib. I would post pictures but between LOML me, my son, DIL and grand daughter there's noting to show. She did pick up two so when we cook the second one I'll post a picture but in the mean time if you see one in the store don't be afraid to try it. I did a Google search and from what I read it is the loin that the NY steaks are made from with the bones still on.......
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

If the filet part was on the other side of the sirloin it would be a porterhouse steak also called a T-bone.

A New York strip is my most favorite steak. The best steak I ever had was in Tuscon, AZ. place called the Bar M. Probably not there anymore this was in the late 90's.
    So Mote It Be

Darn it Don, you could have at least shown the bone! A good roast is always my favorite!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

We'll be doing a Beef Rib Roast of some sort this weekend. Won't know what kind it is till Sharon gets back from the store.

My favorite steak is generally a ribeye. Done a rib roast a few times. Just need to figure out if I want to do it on the smoker or in the oven.

I'm leaning towards low and slow and the smoker...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I been doing em in the oven lately. Coat the roast with olive oil and put salt, pepper and crushed garlic all over it. Place in pan Fat side up. Turn the oven on full (450-500 degrees) and put the roast in for 15 minute then turn it down to 325, cook for 15 min/lbs and check the inside temp should be 120 degrees take out and let it rest for 20 minutes and it done.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

You boys are making me hungry.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    You boys are making me hungry.
    Let me know when your coming this way and we'll put a couple more baked potatoes in the oven to go with it.

I'm not so much a steak fan as I am prime rib... if the roast was of the category of a prime rib, would have been my favorite too. The second choice would be a good Texas brisket smoked with my wife's special rub... I usually smoke them for about 10 or 12 hours...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    www.tellicoturnings.com
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.