Chessboard.....?

Stuart Ablett

So, my lovely daughter, 15 years old, today..... TODAY.... December 23rd decides that she wants a chessboard and pieces for Christmas.... :doh:

If she had told me even a week ago, I could have easily made her one, but no, she had to wait until today to decide..... she is working on getting her full fledged woman card early I think :rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl: (no offense ladies!)

OK, I'm going to try to do this, make a nice board, and buy some plastic pieces (YUCK!) then before she leaves for Canada in March I'll try to make the pieces on my lathe.....sigh.... I've been asking her for about six months what she wants, this is the last Christmas that she will spend at home as our kid, I hope she comes back at some time but she'll never be a kid again living under our roof.

To the dungeon I got, need to figure out how big the squares should be....

Cheers...... the Christmas kind..... :santa:

Are you going to make the board solid, or use square veneer pieces on a substrate?

And she is also going to go to Canada for high school? Stu, you are WAY too young to be an empty nester. (I should know, we're the same age! :rolleyes:)

Hmmm, now where was that video of the guy in Calcutta(?) making chess pieces on a bow lathe using his foot to help guide the chisel...

After the kind of work we've seen you turn out?? I don't think this will be a problem.
I predict a major update on here by the time most of us get up tomorrow morning.:wave:

Jeez Peter, it's like you've been to my Dungeon or something..... :D

9c64f18c.jpg

The basic layout, due to design opportunity on my part :rolleyes: the squares will be 1-7/8" not the full 2" that I wanted, oh well.
I'm going to borrow a set of pieces from a friend, just your basic plastic set, and then next year get to work on making a proper set on the lathe. I'll also make a folding chess board that will be easier to transport for her.

407c8810.jpg

The first glue up, this is where I could REALLY use a drum sander :doh:
Wish me luck on the second glue up, we will see how these all line up, I've never done this before so...... :dunno:

Are you going to make the board solid, or use square veneer pieces on a substrate?

And she is also going to go to Canada for high school? Stu, you are WAY too young to be an empty nester. (I should know, we're the same age! :rolleyes:)

Hmmm, now where was that video of the guy in Calcutta(?) making chess pieces on a bow lathe using his foot to help guide the chisel...

Going for the solid, I'll most likely put some battens of some sort on the bottom of it, it should be just about 3/4" thick.

When you kick them out at 15 years old, it is a lot easier to become an empty nester at a young(ish) age. I'll be 48 next May and my lovely wife will turn 50 in August, so we are not that young..... sorry to tell you Art ;)

See? Just as I predicted!
Looking good Stu. Is that walnut and your favourite Japanese hardwood whose name I can't remember? Looks a bit like hard maple from here though, now that I think about it.
I like your gluing cauls.
I think you'll meet the deadline, although you could always say you're going to have Christmas on BC time this year and gain 16 more hours:D
Don't rush. Wouldn't want to have an accident.

See? Just as I predicted!
Looking good Stu. Is that walnut and your favourite Japanese hardwood whose name I can't remember? Looks a bit like hard maple from here though, now that I think about it.
I like your gluing cauls.
I think you'll meet the deadline, although you could always say you're going to have Christmas on BC time this year and gain 16 more hours:D
Don't rush. Wouldn't want to have an accident.

It is Hard Maple and Walnut.
No rush, just running out of time and very busy this time of year.

If anybody can pull this off, it will be you Stu:thumb: Looking good so far.
Thanks, it will not be close to perfect, but it will be done!

hey stu,, side note here,, how do you like that gummy grip stuff you have on your clamp handles? and looks like those cauls will keep anything flat.:thumb:

Grippy stuff, you mean hockey tape? Yeah, love it, works great, you can really grab them handles and put some power into tightening them, learned that trick on a Rob Crossman video :thumb:

I hope to get this done tomorrow, as it is Christmas Eve!!

IMG_2755.jpg

Second set of cuts done, everything marked so I can keep them in order.

IMG_2756.jpg

A test run, yes, the squares are NOT perfect:doh:

IMG_2757.jpg

Glued up, I'll trim the ends and put some sort of edging on it then some battens across the bottom to make it stronger.
As a quicky first try, I think it will be OK

When you kick them out at 15 years old, it is a lot easier to become an empty nester at a young(ish) age. I'll be 48 next May and my lovely wife will turn 50 in August, so we are not that young..... sorry to tell you Art ;)

lalalalal I can't HEAR you!!:chair:

(October for me. As for the kids, I started a bit later than you, I think. My oldest is looking at 15 in March, and my youngest is just 8...)

Yup she is Steve. She even got two birds with one stone. She tossed Brent under the buss with the table and got Larry's dander up with the turning things on the lathe. Good job Sharon:thumb::thumb::thumb: