Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frameless Cabinets

Frameless Cabinets

If a person was to build frameless cabinets, what type of hinge would you recommend? I might try making a couple and have no idea about the hinges.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

I like the Blum 35mm full overlay. Fully adjustable in six directions, and easy to install (assuming you have a 35mm forstner bit, but a 1-3/8" will do in a pinch).
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Thats a start Jim. hate doing something I have never done.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

I think you can find some 'kits' that have a 35mm drill bit and drill guide pretty inexpensively. You want to make sure you put those 35mm holes in the right place...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I think you can find some 'kits' that have a 35mm drill bit and drill guide pretty inexpensively. You want to make sure you put those 35mm holes in the right place...
    If you've got a drill press with a fence on its table, that's all you need. The edge of the 35mm hole needs to be 3mm (1/8") from the edge of the door. That spacing works with every Blum hinge I've ever used.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Got it thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I think you can find some 'kits' that have a 35mm drill bit ...
    A 1 3/8" Forstner bit works fine. Divide 35mm by 25.4mm(1") = 1.378" - close enough to 1.375 (1 3/8) to work perfectly.

Another option, if you use inset doors is a simple pin or knife hinge. I did that on a cabinet for our family room several years ago and put magnetic push-push catches at the top. Looks great and works just fine.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    If a person was to build frameless cabinets, what type of hinge would you recommend? I might try making a couple and have no idea about the hinges.
    I'd do a euro hinge.

This is from memory so I might be way off here.
    With Blum, if you drill the cup at 20.5mm on center from the edge, and use a straight armed hinge, you want to be using a 6mm mounting plate to get a 5/16" overlay. That'd give you an 1/8" gap on a 3/4" partition.

I rarely do anything frameless, but I do use frameless hinges and mounting plates for doing inset stuff with a faceframe. I use a full crank hinge, and vary the mounting plates depending on what the pocket from the edge of the faceframe is to the partition. Also requires some thinking ahead when doing cut out and machining decks.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    I'd do a euro hinge.

This is from memory so I might be way off here.
    With Blum, if you drill the cup at 20.5mm on center from the edge, and use a straight armed hinge, you want to be using a 6mm mounting plate to get a 5/16" overlay. That'd give you an 1/8" gap on a 3/4" partition.

I rarely do anything frameless, but I do use frameless hinges and mounting plates for doing inset stuff with a faceframe. I use a full crank hinge, and vary the mounting plates depending on what the pocket from the edge of the faceframe is to the partition. Also requires some thinking ahead when doing cut out and machining decks.

Whenever I read on of these I always think its too bad no one on here lives close to me. I'd let you drill them with my door machine for nothing.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda