Thread: Scrollsaw Stool for the LOML

Scrollsaw Stool for the LOML

If this belongs somewhere other than here in General Q&A, feel free to move it.

I noticed this stool Attachment 5724 in Jeff Wrights post http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...28785#poststop

I've been looking for a stool for my wife to use at her scroll saw for a long, long time....and her birthday is next week!

I'm curious - Jeff, and anyone else who has one of these, how do you like it? Is it sturdy? OK for the back? Is it a good choice for scroll-sawers?

I'll check later today or tomorrow if it's available at the local sears. It's available on line for $70. Is this a good price? Anyone know of anything comparable!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Rennie

I have one of these at my scroll saw, it is ok, but there is no way I could sit in it longer than 30 minutes tops

It is not worth $70, I had my wife pick one up for me sometime after Christmas when they were $30 and that is much more inline with what they are worth
    my goal in life is to be as good a person as my kids think i am

life is short, even in it's longest days

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post
    Rennie

I have one of these at my scroll saw, it is OK, but there is no way I could sit in it longer than 30 minutes tops

It is not worth $70, I had my wife pick one up for me sometime after Christmas when they were $30 and that is much more in line with what they are worth
    I think you nailed it. I went over the the local Sears at lunch and had a sit on the stool. My butt hags over on the sides And mine's not really that big! Not terribly comfortable! I think I'll pass.

Anyone have a better idea?
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I think you nailed it. I went over the the local Sears at lunch and had a sit on the stool. My butt hags over on the sides And mine's not really that big! Not terribly comfortable! I think I'll pass.

Anyone have a better idea?
    ahem... we'll just leave that alone....

I use a lab chair for my shop stool. So... office supply store (staples, officemax etc...)
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    ...I use a lab chair for my shop stool. So... office supply store (staples, officemax etc...)
    Yep! That's what I use, too. Mine looks just like yours, except it's upholstered in blue.
    Jim D.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Yep! That's what I use, too. Mine looks just like yours, except it's upholstered in blue.
    come to think of it, that would almost qualify as my best dumpster recovery. Got it free from a defunct GE plant.
    -Ned

OK - I spoke to the LOML and this is what she suggested as the ultimate scroller's stool
    Attachment 5921
    Excellent back support and support for when you lean forward over your work, and the front of the seat falls off a little so you don't restrict blood supply to the legs.

Only one itty bitty little problem.

$800 each!!!

I wonder what the used market is on these things?
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 03-13-2007 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    OK - I spoke to the LOML and this is what she suggested as the ultimate scroller's stool
    Attachment 5921
    Excellent back support and support for when you lean forward over your work, and the front of the seat falls off a little so you don't restrict blood supply to the legs.

Only on itty bitty little problem.

$800 each!!!

I wonder what the used market is on these things?
    hmmmm I'd be looking mighty hard at an office supply store for a 'lesser but similar' unit.
    $98 and free shipping. bizchair (no affiliation)
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 03-13-2007 at 05:31 PM.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    hmmmm I'd be looking mighty hard at an office supply store for a 'lesser but similar' unit.
    I have these in our AV booth at church. OK for a 1 hour service, but not-so-good for long sits over a saw. Also, it does not have the front support of the dental assistant's chair.

There are a few used office furniture houses around here - I'll keep my eyes open. you never know!