maple end grain staining

Julio Navarro

I have some maple raised panels that the end grain stains very much darker than the rest of the board. I imagine I need to use a sanding sealer on the end grain before staining.

Will this ensure that the end grain will stain similar to the rest of the board or do I need to do something else+

Any help[ is, as always, very appreciated.

How can I make maple accept stain better? It seems that maple does not suck stain at all. I have been staining with minwax golden pecan but it does not penetrate the smooth maple.

How can I make maple accept stain better? It seems that maple does not suck stain at all. I have been staining with minwax golden pecan but it does not penetrate the smooth maple.

I have no idea if this is still pertinent seeing your project is more than likely finished.

the first project I stained was on maple. I had a hard time getting it to come out correctly. my biggest problem was on large flat areas like doors. the entire thing was covered in these little grey flecks. it was the tiny pores of the maple. After close inspection of my commercially made maple kitchen cabinets I noticed the same thing.

did you have this problem also?

As far as stain penetrating the maple better. next time try stopping the sanding process at 150 grit and do the end grain at 220. You could cut some of what ever the top coat is going to be and put that on the end grain and then re sand lightly. like if poly is the top coat then dilute some polly by 50% , let one thin coat dry and then sand the end grain lightly again (I also did this to seal the pores I was talking about and it worked out good)

That will seal off some of the heavy end grain.