Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why I buy things on-line...

Why I buy things on-line...

[rant=on]
    I need something small and simple. Just some bearings for my garden cart that gets towed behind the garden tractor. 3/4" id x 1 3/8"od with a little flange.

Went to Lowes = Nope. No bearings at all.
    Went to Home Depot = Nope. Same as lowes.
    Went to Ace = Out of stock, but at least they had bearings in the little drawers of mics. hardware!
    Went to the auto parts store = Nope, sounds like a hardware item to them.

So basically drove all around town looking for what should be 10$ for a pack of 4 item.

Wasted more in gas and time looking for it than I would have paying shipping over the interwebs.

[rant=off]

But it wasn't a complete waste, I did end up find some other items I had on my list (Chains and load binders) that would have cost a fortune to have shipped....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I buy local whenever I can and I salute your attempt. Even if it is the BORG, they are employing people from my community so I try to shop there. Sometimes they just won't let you for any price. Let's keep trying, our neighbors work at these places.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Have you tried to look in the yellow pages (opps I forgot talking to a geek) er I mean yellowpages.com. Look for bearing sales try Kaman Bearing they should have a local branck
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I know, I try to buy local, but sometimes it just seems like it's hardly worth it.

When I used to live in town, it was easy enough to just go check out a couple of places. The main item, this little bearing, is a very common and standard type item that the hardware stores should have stocked, certainly not a specialty type item that requires going to a specialty store that mainly deals with the trades...
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

I've found in the past few years, the little miscellaneous items I used to find at the hardware store or even the borg just aren't stocked anymore. They save money where they can and are really pushing the web to store free shipping now days.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I am curious. If you take advantage of the ship free to the store option, does that local store benefit from the sale, or does just corporate make out? If the store is a franchise, the franchise owner is incurring the costs to receive and handle the item until you get there to pick it up. If it is a nonfranchise big borg situation, how is the local employee benefiting? I definitely want to support the local stores and local jobs. Inquiring minds....
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

The local store doesn't get much if anything from the sale. The corporation is taking advantage of the regular shipping that goes to the local stores every week, just throw whatever needs to go into the same container with everything else. Then the local store hopes that you buy something else while you are there.

The local benefit is the store will need to have staff to handle any type of business that walks through the door whether web or locally generated.

I take advantage of ship to store because I know I am helping people keep their jobs.

Cheers,
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Brent i fully share your views. I do try to support the local guys for exactly the reason of these people being neighbors, but the problem i notice is the corporation owned stores are making sure to use the 80/20 rule and use their IT systems to tell them what to stock for the sake of efficiency. To me it all fits the "dumbing down syndrome" pattern. Train people not to want and not to do by not having it available.

But some of the online stores are just as bad.

At the same time i can appreciate that fewer people are fixing things . Just take my BBQ. Heck its now going on 11 years old. Its cast rust free alloy and plastic. So every now and then i take it off the desk. Remove the grids and toss the burner. Buy a new one and away we go. All refurnbished.

Yet my good neighbor he has had three in the time i know him and thats only about 5 years.

Secretly i am waiting for him to toss the new Stainless steel one and i will pick it off the sidewalk and refurbish it.
    cheers

I've definitely benefited the local economy a LOT over the past year. But sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

It's particularly difficult with technology items I want. If I build a new pc or want to upgrade something, the odds that I can find that part at a decent price in town is zilch.

But for hardware items? That's what I find particularly frustrating. I do miss the old K&K hardware store in my home town of Bettendorf. As a kid, I did a lot of the handy man type stuff around the house, and on my dad's boat's. K&K and there never ending aisles of hardware items never let me down.

Oh well, at least I'm keeping the UPS service in business...

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I do miss the old K&K hardware store in my home town of Bettendorf.
    Kind of like the old H&E (Herb and Ed) in Barstow. You could get anything there.