Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamfers, Big Ones

Chamfers, Big Ones

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0538.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	63773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0539.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	63774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0540.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	63775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0541.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	63776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0542.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	63777
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0544.jpg  
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Nice! I shudder to think what my chamfers would look like if I did them by hand.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Bill i think them old woodworkers of back in the day would turn in their grave if they saw them chamfers. They way too precision for what i have seen come out of old days neader woodworking.

Just kidding nice work. That has all the making of a bench vise or am i mistaken?
    cheers

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Bill I want to see a Tut as to how ya did the chamfers with hand tools ???
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Real nice there sir.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Bill I want to see a Tut as to how ya did the chamfers with hand tools ???
    It would not be much of a tutorial as all I do is pencil a line on each face in order to make sure each leg is even. On really small chamfers I don't bother to pencil in any lines, I just eyeball it. I then just start planing until I have a single facet between the lines. It is really very easy. In one of the pictures you see a spokeshave. I used that to hog off as much material I could on these larger chamfers before moving to a plane. If I had a drawknife and the grain was a little straighter I would have tried that to hog off the material. Oh one other thing, I do the end grain first.

I think using a plane or spokeshave is easier than a chisel. The chisel has to be very sharp (of course!) and you really have to watch the grain. I only use a chisel when I don't have room for a plane.
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

I have never tried it. However, I have a horrible feeling about how my chamfers would look if I tried to make them that big with hand tools. Guess I have to go play with some scrap.

Enjoy (and I hope I do too),

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Bill i can see this chamfering being a good form of practise for plane control. If one goes outside the lines the chamfers keep getting bigger

Now there is always a good little lv attachment i have spied for the lv block plane.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,230,41182

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    cheers

very nice bill,, now show us how the inset holes were made the face side looks excellent
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    very nice bill,, now show us how the inset holes were made the face side looks excellent

As you can see below the chop was glued up from two 1-1/2 thick hard maple slabs with a recess for the chain routed out prior to glue-up with a tailed router for one side and using the drill press for the other.

Name:	DSCN0534.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	63794

The holes were then drilled on the drill press, but the complications were that they are stepped, so that I started with the larger bits first and progressively went down in size using the dimple left over from previous drill. There was still some slop in the dimple to move the drill bit, so I had to do some very careful checking to make sure it was centered.

Name:	DSCN0544.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	63795

The little square you see in two of the holes is the access for a keyway that holds the chains sprockets on. It's length is actually an 1-1/2", but the picture makes it appear much shorter. I laid the key down and then marked with a pencil the outline for a cuts I made on each side with a hack saw blade. Just like you would hand saw a dado. I then took a very small chisel I had modified for a previous project and wasted out the center. Here is a picture of the vise hardware to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vise.JPG