another 'whatzit' ?

Frank Fusco

Accepting guesses on item below. Please don't say "some kinda clamp". I know that. ;) Looking for as specific as possible. It was made by Detroit Stamping. Co. but is actually a casting. Model 474-S. I think I know what it is but will wait awhile before saying.

Attachments

• whatzit.jpg
    whatzit.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 40
Possibly used in the aircraft business. Clamping alum tubing, sheeting.

I think Cleco :huh: made a lot of aircraft tools.

Close enough for a gold ring. :thumb: It came from a Douglas aircraft factory in Chicago during WWII where DC3s were made. It was used to hold the outer skin to a rib for riviting.

I'll pm ya my address Frank.;)
One size fits all ring?:huh: :dunno: :rofl: :rofl:

FWIW several people make those types of clamps. Destaco comes to mind. I saw them used in the factories I worked in on many applications. Welding was probably the most common. While I don't ever remembering using one of those, I have used similar clamps and designed some custom tooling and put on it to do a specific job. They and their kin folks are very handy items and quite common in industry.

Jeff
Who does miss his previous life as a mechanical designer just a bit.
OK, I am over it now. :D

Last edited:
FWIW several people make those types of clamps. Destaco comes to mind. I saw them used in the factories I worked in on many applications. Welding was probably the most common. While I don't ever remembering using one of those, I have used similar clamps and designed some custom tooling and put on it to do a specific job. They and their kin folks are very handy items and quite common in industry.

Jeff
Who does miss his previous life as a mechanical designer just a bit.
OK, I am over it now. :D

And, here I thought I had sumptin' uneek. :eek: Guess good ideas tend to hang around. ;)