Maple headboard

Julio Navarro

Well, I am almost ready to stain and assemble this maple headboard.

I decided to build this headboard for a friend's daughter who my son likes very much. Her mom and I are in the process of arraigning their marriage, not their wedding but their marriage (they are only 13 right now). We are kidding of course, but they look SO CUTE together! 317348_2382736972911_1385311177_32800015_2076577901_n.jpg

The mom asked me if I could make a headboard for Christmas and I told her I would do it for free as long as it would get passed along to my granddaughter :p .

I have been having problems getting a test stain working right and I have some questions in another thread.

DSCN1458.jpg

This is just dry fit, of course, I still have to stain it.

thats gonna be sharp julio.. if you dont get what your looking for in info go to homestead finishing site and ask there.. also jeff hewitt has a couple good books out there on finishing that will help anyone looking for the right answer tot here finishing questions..

nice looking kids too.. your son has good taste:)

LINK

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

I am in the process of staining and I am happy to see that the apparent difference in shading of the center panel on the headboard has evened out and all three panels are very similar in shade.

I sanded the end of the panels to a higher grade sandpaper and applied sanding sealer which prevented blotching and gave he end grain a uniform absorption. My test piece was coming out very dark on the end grains.

So far so good! I should be finished staining today and assembling tomorrow. I will be using a spray clear satin lacquer which looks great on the test piece.

I'll post pics later.

Thanks again

Here is a side by side comparison of the raised panels; one is the test piece without the sanding sealer, the other is the actual piece with sealer. The difference is very apparent. IMAG0075.jpg

Here are the three raised panels for the head board. They have two coats of Min wax colonial maple. I started with Cabot's colonial maple but it was too yellow so I switched to the Min wax colonial maple since it has a warmer pink tone.IMAG0073.jpg