Thread: Sharpening carbide tools

N.E. Arkansas

Sharpening carbide tools

I have always had issues with my tool sharpener services not being what they should be. Their prices are up there pretty high and lately the company that has been handling my sharpening has dropped the ball several times. I sent them a new but needing sharpened Freeborn MT carbide raised panel cutter, when it came back the cutter left streaks in the end grain cut. I had to wait a week, send it off again, then only to get it back doing the same thing. They have taken off a lot of carbide in the process and I told them to either buy me a new one or never come back to my shop again. It left cutting fine but beginning to burn a bit on maple and came back to me twice now worthless. I've used Ballew in Springfield and turn around time is too long with them and Freeborn tool too. So I'm on a mission to find a better mousetrap.

I've done a bit of research online to find an affordable tool grinder to purchase and do my own sharpening of carbide tools. I can already do all my HSS stuff just fine but there is not much anymore that is HSS besides lathe chisels, jointer knives and molder knives. I've found this machine and would like some opinions from some of you guys. I'd love to hear from someone who has owned this machine if anybody here does. I know it would take several thousand more than this machine costs to get a real pro setup but that's not in the budget and finding one on the net doesn't seem to be happening right now either. Opinions solicited please.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Can't help ya there Jim but if you need a new source then I can Scott's sharpening service in Glendale Arizona, he does do mail order. and his pricing is fair. I think Carol uses him also.
    Scott's Sharpening Service. 5214 W. Luke Ave., Ste. 7. Glendale, AZ 85301. (623) 931-0633. (800) 594-7262.

No affiliation just a happy customer

"There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Austin, Texas
    Jim, I get a lot of extra life out of shaper cutters and router bits by using diamond sharpening "sticks" on the flat side of the cutter. It won't fix a chip, but it does greatly extend the useful life without changing the profile measurably.

The 3 grade set I use is similar to this but I suspect was even cheaper.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at

Escondido, CA
    ++ on Scott's Sharpening.

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Hi Jim... read your post..we all need sharp tools...Hoffman Sharpening 4216 w Wyland Dr. Elkhart Indiana...574-293-6317... this is whom i use...very good service and well done too...a call to Dan, Scott, Diane, or Christy would serve you well MHO if you call tell them i told you...bill