Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you define "local" in terms of round trip miles?

How do you define "local" in terms of round trip miles?

As I read through the thread on internet purchasing I noticed "local" used frequently. It occurred that the meaning of "local" had to mean different things to each of us. I just thought it might be interesting to see what "local" means to us in terms of round trip miles.

For me a round trip to the "local" hardware is 16 miles. Lowe's is 18 miles, Menard's is 38 miles, and Home Depot is 74 miles. Wal-Mart is 20 miles and Tractor Supply is 36 miles. A trip to a decent, but pricy lumber dealer is 74 miles. Round trips to Rockler and Woodcraft are 102 and 116 miles respectively. The grocery, pharmacy and gas station are 14 miles. The Dollar General is 3 miles, and the local pizza place is 4 miles.

Don't take me wrong. I'm not complaining. We choose to live here and have since 1977. I just wonder what others call "local".
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Local= not mail or internet order as anything I can drive to and back in half a day is local. If we figure time and gas many of us would quit buying anything local. I have had Amazon prime for two years now and as pricy as it is I suspect it has saved me money over gas.

McMaster Carr can get me most hardware next day cheaper than gas almost anywhere.

What I often find is I spend a half a day looking local and still have to order. The idea that you can't stock slow sellers is killing local business including the Big box stores. Twenty years ago we had a couple of great tool stores in the area. Then Trendlines and Lowes / Home Depot came in and undersold them on everything. Shut down the local store. Trendlines went broke all over the country and closed the doors. Now that there isn't any competition, Lowes and Home Depot have both stopped carrying most tools as they don't sell fast enough. Yes I know they have a big tool corner but look at what they really have. So its back to going a hundred miles to a woodcraft store or order from an offsite place...

For me a round trip to the "local" hardware is 16 miles. About the same for me.

Lowe's is 18 miles, Again, about the same.

Menard's is 38 miles, More like 90 miles for me.

Home Depot is 74 miles. Just six miles.

Wal-Mart is 20 miles Again, six miles (Wally World and HD are across the street from one another).

Tractor Supply is 36 miles. Yeah, about that for me, too.

A trip to a decent, but pricy lumber dealer is 74 miles. Just got back from Hartville Hardware (and lumber). 106 miles, round trip. Others are closer, though.

Round trips to Rockler and Woodcraft are 102 and 116 miles respectively. Rockler: 350 miles. Woodcraft: about 110.

The grocery, pharmacy and gas station are 14 miles. All about six miles for me.

The Dollar General is 3 miles, About six miles for me - if I ever went there, but I haven't yet.

and the local pizza place is 4 miles. About nine miles for me.
    Last edited by Jim DeLaney; 12-28-2011 at 09:45 PM.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Gee, I almost feel bad. Everything is around 4 miles away at the most, except for Woodcraft which is 96 miles away. And work is only 2 miles away, mostly all down hill!
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

living on Long Island, any store is within a 5 mile range.
    (No woodcrafts on LI)
    Human Test Dummy

In LA, distances are measured in the time it takes to get there instead of miles. The nearest decent hardware store (Do-It Center) is about 10 minutes away. Lowe's or Home Depot are about 20. Rockler, 20 to 25, depending on traffic. Woodcraft is probably about an hour. A good lumber supplier (Bohnhoff Lumber) is about 30 to 45 minutes away, depending on traffic.

In Albuquerque, I can get to pretty much everywhere I need to go in the length of time it takes me to smoke a cigarette (or less). I'm still getting used to the concept of being able to drive completely across town in less than 30 minutes. I've not explored any of the woodworking stores yet, but I did notice in a Google search that Woodcraft is no longer here.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Local is all within 20 miles, give or take a bit. The big box stores are all out to the 60 mile range. Lumber is within that 20 mile radius. Privacy with a view, has it's cost.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Local to us is 4 miles or less and includes Lowe's, Tractor Supply, Walmart and Stone's Home Center. Going to about 25 miles adds Home Depot and another Lowe's and Walmart. Take it to 40 miles gets us to either Tallahassee or Valdosta, both of which add Harbor Freight to the mix. Forget trying to find "good" wood even that close. We had to make a 400 mile round trip to get the mahogany for the credenza I'm building, but we also got red oak for a platform bed which is the next major effort.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Shop is 6.5 miles, anything from there is within 5 miles.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Most stores I need to get to are within 30 miles but Woodcraft and exotic wood supplier are 220 miles R/T.
    Ken
    ------