Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop built Rougher and/or hollowing tool(s) or Store-bought?

Shop built Rougher and/or hollowing tool(s) or Store-bought?

OK guys & gals,
    With the 'new year' about to roll around, I'm going to try and change my 'off' time habits, from excercising my TV Remote to making sawdust, including setting up my grinder, midi lathe etc... I'd like to take a try at boxes, and turned christmas tree ornaments, bird houses etc. To that end, I've got a little christmas cash in hand, and would like to invest in either a rougher or a hollowing tool. Shop built is cool (did a search and yet again, I didn't ask the 'right' question) on the rougher and/or the hollowing tool. I didn't find any recent 'I built this' threads with either of those, so...

Can you point me at a 'how to' page or thread for either a rougher or a hollowing tool?

I've got about $150 to spend, and I can get other goodies if I don't spend it all on one turning tool (forstner bits, new jaws for my scroll chuck, etc...).
    -Ned

Hmmm... well a little searching on grizzly and I think I'm going to order their set of 3 hollowing tools for $22. can't build my own for that much, and certainly can't match that price elsewhere. If I find I'm doing a LOT of hollowing, then I can step up to a better tool.
    -Ned

Ned, here is my thread on a hollowing tool that I built last summer.
    http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...=hollowing+rig
    I copied the set up of Lyle Jamieson.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Thanks Tom!
    -Ned

Ned, for the rougher I assume you're talking about something like this. If so I would probably buy the cutters and make my own with some borg steal and free wood. I also have made my own hollowers (with more than one assist from my dad). I got his jamison copy and then he built his own elbow hollower.

BTW, I think I'm gonna order some of the cutters from easy wood tools too!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Jeff,
    yes, the EZ is what I'd like to have, but I would prefer not to sink $150 into just the one tool. I think I'm going to get the Grizzly 3 hollowing tool set, and then see where I can get some bar stock. Friend of my Dad's should know the local market and be able to point me at the right source.
    -Ned

Ned, you can buy just the cutters from ez for $14 bucks. I think Frank F. tried out some spiral cutter head knives, but I don't remember how they worked out.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Ned, I'll echo the suggestion to buy the cutters from Easy Wood Tools. I've tried the generic carbide cutters, and there is a definite difference. They are not as initially sharp, and what little sharpness they have fades much faster than the Easy Wood Tools cutters.

I looked on the Grizzly site for a 3-tool hollowing set, but couldn't find it. Do you have a link? If they're anything like the Sorby Hollowmaster (a.k.a. the Horrormaster), be aware that they are not as easy to use as it might seem. They can be very "catchy", especially at first when you're figuring out the right combination of tool presentation and lathe speed. I suspect you'll be happier with a captive hollower of some sort. Although mine are commercially made, a lot of guys have done well with homemade captive rigs.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hmmmm....

I think it is discontinued... It was model H5979 found on page 141 of their catalog, however when I try and enter that item number nothing comes up on their search engine...

that's ok I found a gooseneck hollowing tool which fits my budget (at $25) , also from Grizzly with a 'New' gif... so they're upgrading their line?

I'm far from being to the point where a captive system would be required, I'd like to try some hollow forms, though, with the Hollydaze recently behind us, I'm thinking icicles and globes with finial sort of ornaments.

Lori and I had a Long talk the other day, and spending more money right now on enclosing the carport just isn't going to happen. To that end, however, I'm going to move as many of my tools as I can (the TS is likely going to stay in the shed outside...) down into the basement or back porch (where my scrollsaw is now) and I'm going to give that a go instead.

Today's project is getting my newfangled bench dis-assembled, moved and re-assembled...
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 12-29-2011 at 05:37 PM.
    -Ned

Ned, I fully understand how sometimes the best plans get shelved to later. Glad you have a new plan so you can get back to making some sawdust and curlies!
    My Website