Titebond Date Codes

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
For those who wish to know; (Per Titebond) - In March of 2009, we switched to the new lot numbering system. The new one is: The first digit represents A for America (made in), the second digit is the last digit of the year of manufacture, the third and fourth digits represent the month, the fifth and sixth digits represent the day of the month and the last four digits represent the lot number. Example: A904270023 – This material was manufactured on April 27, 2009

Never had any stay in the shop long enough to be concerned....lol
I just tossed 5 partial bottles in the trash ranging from 18 months to over 3 years old. :eek::eek:

I can never remember what I have and always think I should pick up a bottle 'just in case' when I'm at Woodcraft.

It is good info Rennie I have picked up more than one out of date item from the store shelf. Even more so now than when times where rolling. :thumb:

Thank you for the information. What is the shelf life of titebond?

DKT

Per the Titebond website:
[h=4]What is the shelf life of Titebond Wood Glues?[/h] Our literature states the shelf life of all of our glues as one year. Titebond Liquid Hide Glue includes an expiration date on the bottle, because it can progressively lose its ability to dry hard, and this change is not visually obvious. Titebond Polyurethane Glue has a one year shelf life in an unopened container, but is useable as long as the glue remains fluid. Polyurethanes, however, are designed to react when exposed to moisture and can sometimes begin to cure after the bottle has been opened, and solidify. Most of our yellow and white glues, including Titebond Original and Titebond II, remain usable beyond two years. Should Titebond Original become thick and stringy, or Titebond II turns into an orange colored gel, these changes signify that the glue is no longer usable. The minimum shelf life of Titebond III is stated as one year, when stored appropriately at room temperature. Titebond III is expected to last beyond its stated shelf life. If thickened, shake vigorously by firmly tapping bottle on a hard surface until product is restored to original form.

didnt get the date they changed rennie:( will take it on from there.. had some that was over a year old and wasnt sure of it so for the price i will just start over,

Just picked up a jar of minwax wood filler. I'm not shall we say pleased with having to peal off the top half inch of hard filler and toss it in the trash.:doh:

interesting stuff rennie.
being a pharmacist for 3 decades, I was always concerned with expiration dates, but never thought twice about looking at a bottle of titebond for an expiration date.
I use the glue very quickly, but I just ordered (6 weeks ago )a gallon of titebond 3, and looked at the date and its oct of 2010. That means they shipped me glue over a year old.
So does that means they have some nerve not to let me know in advance they are shipping something with a poor date?
I used to buy alot of short dated items from my wholesalers but they offered huge discounts and I had to expect to use the items quickly.(6 months short dating was ok for me)

on another note, I know not to use it in less than 50 degree temps, but Ive used titebond 3 for years outdoors in the cold garage and have never had a joint fail. And Ive never checked expiration dates, and usually purchase by the gallon and pour it into squeeze containers.(I do keep the glue indoors all year round in my home, never leave stains, solvents or glue outdoors in the cold months)

to the alan, and allen guys:) i took and glued some scrap ash together with the old stuff and the fresh stuff.. the old stuff i was able to break the joint by hand and it took very little parent wood with it, the other test took more effort by far and took parent wood all across the joint. the old stuff got pitched..

The only time I ever noticed anything different as far as titebonds texture, consistancy, or color, was when I used it in 20 degree weather and when it dried, it dried very white. The joints held fine.
Ive never had a bottle that looked discolored or different.