Looking at an 8" jointer

Bart Leetch

Having a small shop has its draw backs.
I have enough room for an 8" jointer just not one with a 75" bed. I have found the Sunhill has one with hand-wheels & a bed with extensions that bolt on to lengthen the beds from 65" to 74" this would fit right into my shop & later in a bigger shop I could bolt the extensions onto the bed.

Has anyone had any experience with Sunhill machines?

I don't recall seeing anything specific about this jointer, but I've read favorable comments about Sunhill machines.

Does GRIZZLY know about this!
:eek: :eek: :eek:
:rofl: Sorry, couldnt resist:rofl:

Seriously, like Vaughn, I don’t know this jointer but Sunhill enjoys a good reputation.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Thats a good one Bruce:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I E-mailed Bill Crofutt a while back & mentioned the bigger isn't always better & that the older 8" jointer with the 66" bed would fit better in my shop than the 8" jointers & he though I should buy a G0633 combo machine for $1795 NOT.:rofl: That still ends up being to big & the price is way more then I need to spend. Its Grizzly's problem if they want to sell either jointers with beds that are to long or higher priced combination machines that are to big for my shop. Then again some would say its my problem. Its a no win situation if I want to buy Grizzly.

Last edited:
Ya know Bart,

I have been looking into Sunhill as well. I like there 8"jointer as well. I haven't really heard anything bad about them. I attempted to do some research of Gee-Tech on the web today. I didn't have time at work to go real indepth, but you can see pics of there factory over in Taiwan on their website. I am also looking for a list distributors so I can actually see one up close, but I don't think they have a distribution network other than their place in Washington

In fact I saw on Woodnet a guy in Seattle is selling an 8" Sunhill with the sprial head, you may want to jump over there a take peek.

Dan

Bart,
it is a shame that you can't find the extra 10 inches in your shop with the G0586 on sale for less than $600. I have small shop my self (200sf) and managed a to cram a DJ20 in mine. It does live under the the cantileiverd miter bench so it is shared space. Good luck. BTW I have heard nothing but good things aboyt Sunhill
Joe

This forum (and the previous 'other') have educated me on a lot of brands that I usually didn't even know existed. Like Sunhill. Nebber heerd of it before. Where is a person supposed to find this stuff? General, PM, MM, others, where are they? I see some in catalogs but, to my way of thinking, calling in an order for a $5000.00 lathe, or whatever, from a postage stamp sized picture in a catalog is a foolish way to shop. This is probably one huge reason why I am attracted to Grizzly products. They have a big store less than three hours from where I live. I can pick up and save shipping. I can take back for returns or service, and they do it with a smile. Prices/value seem unbeatable. And, for the most part, I'm happy with their products. Of course, the big downside is that the label doesn't have an American flag or say the words "Made in America".
Hope I didn't digress too much, the new brand name is what set me off.

Frank,

I learned of the most of the brands just by searching the internet. I first heard of Sunhill when I was looking to buy my first table saw. Every now and again a new name pops up and I run to google to see what they are about. Learned alot about different products and tools that way, unfortunately, I have more time than money so I just "window" shop.

Frank,

I learned of the most of the brands just by searching the internet. I first heard of Sunhill when I was looking to buy my first table saw. Every now and again a new name pops up and I run to google to see what they are about. Learned alot about different products and tools that way, unfortunately, I have more time than money so I just "window" shop.

I fairly hung up on the notion of being able to get service locally. But, I try to be open-minded. A table saw is on the agenda but I'm hoping to find a decent used one.

With a little re-evaluation the 8" jointer just went on the very far back burner. The largest amount of my jointing at this time is 6" or narrower & edge jointing.

I am going to attach a ledge to each end of my jointer that I can attach a laminate covered board as needed that will rest on a roller stand to extend both ends of the jointer for long boards.

This kinda goes along with the air compressor that went on the back burner. However I did go through all the connections on my air compressor & wrap them with teflon tape amazing I now have a much tighter system. It runs all my nail & staple guns & pumps tires up etc. no spray gun so it supplies all I need.

You are a lucky guy Frank, living so close to Grizzly. Don't worry about not being made in the USA as almost all woodworking tools are imported anyway even if they are being sold under an American name. After having a GO490 for a while, if I lived as close to Grizzly as you do, I would be all over them. A great machine for the price. Local service can be really important at times.

Bart, I have seen reports on Sunhill stuff for several years and not once have I seen a negative report. I am sure that there must be some but they must be few and far between.

This is the edit. I just missed posting before you did Bart. If you do not need a larger jointer it sounds like a good move to me.

Last edited: