Thread: Speaking of local and tools

Speaking of local and tools

With all this talk of tools I ran into something today that I don't understand at all. I only really have one place close to me and it a combination ACE Hardware as well as Farm and home. I went down to but a single replacement socket and they have changed their line from ACE to Craftsman. I was asking the lady why and she said ACE really pushed it on them but she could still order me ACE. Well the Ace tools had always been pretty decent quality and had a life time warranty. They for the most part came out of Taiwan. But here is the kicker she can't exchange one of the tools, she has to call a special number and then if they decide it's a valid claim they will send the customer a replacement in 7 to 10 days.

So lets see I break a tool doing a job and I have to get a replacement, the life time replacement will take a week or I can drive to the closest Sears store and get it today. And the Sears store will have twice the tool collection. Why would I ever bother buying a tool from ACE again. Yes I did buy the socket but why would a retailer set them selves up to make a customer mad when he comes in to warranty a lifetime replaceable tool. I only found out because I was asking...

Now from a business (Money) point of view.

I have a 4 dollar socket I need exchanged.
    I drive to store.
    Store pays some one to call 800 number and wait on hold for who knows how long.
    Someone else pays for the other end of the call and someone to make decision that can't even see the damaged goods...
    Yes I can get a new 4 dollar socket and I will have it in a week or so, as I see them hanging on the wall behind the clerk..And I assume the store will have to return it to the decision makers....
    Or I can drive to Sears and get one today..How Many miles well for me it would be 30 miles round trip..

Yup it all seems reasonable to someone but not me.....Of course remember KMART owns sears Lock Stock and Barrel....

Garry

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Well after the 1st of the year it may be a bit harder to get those from Sears since they have announced they are closing 120 of the Sears and Kmart stores.... hmmmm lets see I wonder why....
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

That's the same reason I won't buy the tools at HD. I bought a new Ridgid drill, had issues, wanted to exchange it and they would only ship it off for repairs. I was told that when I bought it they had an exchange policy and since had changed it.

Don, I believe they are doing the old switch-aroo again at sears/kmart. My SIL has worked for both now twice. They switched her original KMart to a Sears, then moved her to another store, gave her a pay cut, now the store is back to a KMart (still no raise). Says the store has done better since being a KMart again though.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    That's the same reason I won't buy the tools at HD. I bought a new Ridgid drill, had issues, wanted to exchange it and they would only ship it off for repairs. I was told that when I bought it they had an exchange policy and since had changed it.

Don, I believe they are doing the old switch-aroo again at sears/kmart. My SIL has worked for both now twice. They switched her original KMart to a Sears, then moved her to another store, gave her a pay cut, now the store is back to a KMart (still no raise). Says the store has done better since being a KMart again though.
    i bet the reason that kmart is doing better is if you pay less for the help you have better profit margin. i understand it works for other smaller business to, shorten hours and no raises for most of the help.. makes better margins for those with normal hours or the management staff can get higher bonuses.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Darren I was refering to THIS story
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Darren I was refering to THIS story
    Wow, that doesn't look too good for Sears' future. I agree with the article, though. Their stores and product offerings have become stale in today's market.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Here is a partial list of the locations that they are planning to close