Speaking of local and tools

Garry Foster

With all this talk of tools I ran into something today that I don't understand at all. I only really have one place close to me and it a combination ACE Hardware as well as Farm and home. I went down to but a single replacement socket and they have changed their line from ACE to Craftsman. I was asking the lady why and she said ACE really pushed it on them but she could still order me ACE. Well the Ace tools had always been pretty decent quality and had a life time warranty. They for the most part came out of Taiwan. But here is the kicker she can't exchange one of the tools, she has to call a special number and then if they decide it's a valid claim they will send the customer a replacement in 7 to 10 days.

So lets see I break a tool doing a job and I have to get a replacement, the life time replacement will take a week or I can drive to the closest Sears store and get it today. And the Sears store will have twice the tool collection. Why would I ever bother buying a tool from ACE again. Yes I did buy the socket but why would a retailer set them selves up to make a customer mad when he comes in to warranty a lifetime replaceable tool. I only found out because I was asking...

Now from a business (Money) point of view.

I have a 4 dollar socket I need exchanged.
I drive to store.
Store pays some one to call 800 number and wait on hold for who knows how long.
Someone else pays for the other end of the call and someone to make decision that can't even see the damaged goods...
Yes I can get a new 4 dollar socket and I will have it in a week or so, as I see them hanging on the wall behind the clerk..And I assume the store will have to return it to the decision makers....
Or I can drive to Sears and get one today..How Many miles well for me it would be 30 miles round trip..

Yup it all seems reasonable to someone but not me.....Of course remember KMART owns sears Lock Stock and Barrel....

Garry

That's the same reason I won't buy the tools at HD. I bought a new Ridgid drill, had issues, wanted to exchange it and they would only ship it off for repairs. I was told that when I bought it they had an exchange policy and since had changed it.

Don, I believe they are doing the old switch-aroo again at sears/kmart. My SIL has worked for both now twice. They switched her original KMart to a Sears, then moved her to another store, gave her a pay cut, now the store is back to a KMart (still no raise). :dunno: Says the store has done better since being a KMart again though.

That's the same reason I won't buy the tools at HD. I bought a new Ridgid drill, had issues, wanted to exchange it and they would only ship it off for repairs. I was told that when I bought it they had an exchange policy and since had changed it.

Don, I believe they are doing the old switch-aroo again at sears/kmart. My SIL has worked for both now twice. They switched her original KMart to a Sears, then moved her to another store, gave her a pay cut, now the store is back to a KMart (still no raise). :dunno: Says the store has done better since being a KMart again though.

i bet the reason that kmart is doing better is if you pay less for the help you have better profit margin. i understand it works for other smaller business to, shorten hours and no raises for most of the help.. makes better margins for those with normal hours or the management staff can get higher bonuses.