Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw bench/storage

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan

Saw bench/storage

Not sure if this is in the proper section, but it is an accessory of sorts...

Watching all of the shop builds/re-org's etc., inspired me enough to get off my rump and attempt some needed improvements of my own. As everyone well knows, storage space is vital, especially to those of us with small shops. Trying to have everything at hand in a convenient way, while allowing our machines the needed/desired footprints, can be easily used as an excuse for our thinning hair. Well...I'm starting my resurrection with my RAS set-up. I've never liked the stand it came with, half fast sturdy at best, and lots of wasted space. I'm quite happy with the saw itself for what it is, it is!

Anyways, here's where I'm at after a couple of days of trashing my shop... moving, sorting and tossing all of those 'must have' treasures. I've decided on a wall bench with drawers &/or shelves to allow much better storage of the remaining 'treasures'. And, to allow some real stock support on top for the RAS. Also giving a tip of the hat to Glenn & Brent for their inspiring flip-top creations. I'm attempting to include my own version for use of my little 'ol 16" scroll saw.

I'm also planning on replacing my band-saw stand with a cabinet type stand, but knowing me & my work ethics, this will probably all become some sort of an extended 'table' build

It's not quality furniture for sure, but for my shop, it'll do ......I'll post more as the progress allows...Have a Happy New Year celebration & stay safe!

before shot...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	63871

starting off shots...

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	63873 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	63874

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	63875 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	63872

Looking good Ken. I'm interested to see the tool that goes on the flip top once its in place. Those lower portions areas offer a great opportunity for drawers or pullouts.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Looking good Ken. I'm interested to see the tool that goes on the flip top once its in place. Those lower portions areas offer a great opportunity for drawers or pullouts.
    Thanks Glenn & I'm looking forward to seeing it as well...it's been a real head scratch-er so far, trying to take into account the table-top and the corresponding reverse side along with the machine height...let's just say, 'if you smell something burning, it's just my thought process'

Pretty clever Ken.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
    Thanks Glenn & I'm looking forward to seeing it as well...it's been a real head scratch-er so far, trying to take into account the table-top and the corresponding reverse side along with the machine height...let's just say, 'if you smell something burning, it's just my thought process'
    I know that smell well . A math major, I was not. Who knew all that all that stuff would become practical when I grew up. I have gotten good service out of MDF boxes full of drawers. Simple rabbet and dado joinery. They are modular and can be re-purposed as things change. After seeing some of Gary Z's shop cabinets I am starting to lean back towards pullouts though. If things get too dusty a quick shot with an air gun will clean things up .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (32).jpg   Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (34).jpg  
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Looking good Ken. Next to my RAS I'm using a doner cabinet and top (for now) that has a sink hole cut in it, so was looking for ways to fill the hole, that tool flipper gives me some idears...Thanks!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I think flip tops are great ideas, but the one you built, Im trying to think what machine you will place on there.
    It seems there is very little clearance(height wise) and Im thinking if the machine is that small, its light enough to just put on a shelf underneath the counter top extension(for the RAS)
    Just my thoughts out loud.
    Human Test Dummy

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    I think flip tops are great ideas, but the one you built, Im trying to think what machine you will place on there.
    It seems there is very little clearance(height wise) and Im thinking if the machine is that small, its light enough to just put on a shelf underneath the counter top extension(for the RAS)
    Just my thoughts out loud.
    I am wondering the same thing unless that bench is deeper then it looks in the picture
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

If I had to measure for a living, it wouldn't be pretty ...somehow I subtracted 6" instead of adding it... It's an old craftsman 16" with the cast base, not real heavy, just thought this would be convenient... so I improvised an addition, which, on the plus side, will allow me some leg room if I use the bar stool for sit-down sessions...Guess I'll quit for the weekend, that way I won't make anymore mistakes this year!

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	63888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	63887

Looking real good Ken. I want to do something similar with the flip top. Going to put my sander on it. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do yours
    Faith, Hope & Charity