Maple burl NE HF

Stephen I am a HUGE fan of your work and it inspires me every time you post a new project. While I cannot even dream of turning pieces like this I am going to post a comment on it. I wonder if this one would be better without the lid. Just as a natural edge bowl. For me...on this one the lid somehow takes away from the beauty of the bowl itself. It's like two beautiful pieces standing next to each other competing for attention. I know the finial took a long time to do and it in its self is great but for some reason that was my first impression when I saw this one. Just one opinion.

Stephen I am a HUGE fan of your work and it inspires me every time you post a new project. While I cannot even dream of turning pieces like this I am going to post a comment on it. I wonder if this one would be better without the lid. Just as a natural edge bowl. For me...on this one the lid somehow takes away from the beauty of the bowl itself. It's like two beautiful pieces standing next to each other competing for attention. I know the finial took a long time to do and it in its self is great but for some reason that was my first impression when I saw this one. Just one opinion.
Tom and Bob first thanks. Tom the finial was done just so this piece didn't look to much like Davids.I think i like it just as well with out it as i do with it, so it works well with me ether way.

I must agree with Tom on this. The lid and finial don't seem to go well with the NE bowl. I haven't seen David's bowl so it is hard to compare or comment on it. By itself, NE looks marvelous.