Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Year Everyone!

Happy New Year Everyone!

I'm at work, it just ticked over to 2012 here in Japan

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to get on my bicycle and cycle 60Km, or about 40 miles to our friend's house, my wife and daughter will be driving down in the van. Should take me about four hours, depending on if I get lost again and how hard I want to push it. We'll stay over at their summer house, then help them get ready on the 2nd for their big Shin Nen Kai, which is a "Welcoming the New Year" party, it is always a lot of fun! As I rode my bike down I'll not worry about eating a bit too much or having a few adult beverages Heck I might even ride back on the 3rd if the weather holds!

It should be +10C/50F and sunny for the ride tomorrow, I just hope the wind does not kick up, as I picked the coastal route. Should be next to no traffic tomorrow as well.

All the best in 2012!!

Stu
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks Stu, Happy New Year! Enjoy the ride and day with the family.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Here's wishing you and your family a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year Stu!
    Ken
    ------

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Same to you Stu
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Tomorrow morning, I'm going to get on my bicycle and cycle 60Km, or about 40 miles to our friend's house, my wife and daughter will be driving down in the van. Should take me about four hours, depending on if I get lost again and how hard I want to push it.
    It should be +10C/50F and sunny for the ride tomorrow, I just hope the wind does not kick up, as I picked the coastal route. Should be next to no traffic tomorrow as well.
    And Happy New Year to you also, Stu! 60k in 4 hours? That seems like a pretty easy pace. Is it a hilly route?
    The weather sounds great.

...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Happy New year!

and have fun on your bike Stu!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Have a great trip Stu, Happy New Year!
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to get on my bicycle and cycle 60Km, or about 40 miles to our friend's house...

...It should be +10C/50F and sunny for the ride tomorrow, I just hope the wind does not kick up, as I picked the coastal route. Should be next to no traffic tomorrow as well.
    If you get a chance a picture or two of what the roads and scenery look like on your bicycle route would be interesting. I am curious as to what the riding would be like around your area.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    And Happy New Year to you also, Stu! 60k in 4 hours? That seems like a pretty easy pace. Is it a hilly route?
    The weather sounds great.

...art
    A bit of hills at the end, but no, not really, but you have to remember, this is city riding, get that, the WHOLE ROUTE is riding through the city, only one small area, maybe 2 or 3 Km long are there no houses, gas stations, or shops on the side of the road, seriously, all them traffic lights slow you down. The first time I did this route, in October of 2010, it took me 5 1/2 hours, about 4 1/2 hours of actual riding time, but I got lost, twice and stopped a lot, I was on my old MTB and I was not in nearly as good bike shape I hope to really cut that time down, but who knows, if traffic is light (it should be!) and I keep the pace up, maybe I'll do it a lot faster, but, it is not a race, I'm out for a nice Sunday ride

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    If you get a chance a picture or two of what the roads and scenery look like on your bicycle route would be interesting. I am curious as to what the riding would be like around your area.
    Not much to see, mostly city and industrial stuff, but I'll try to take a few pics with the iPhone.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Same back at ya, Stu. Also, for all here, I hope we all have a healthful 2012 with NO hospital visits. I for one have spent enough time there to last year to last a life time. Total cost w/o adjustments is in the neighborhood of $250,000.00. More than I have. Even with insurance, it is going to just about wipe out our retirement savings. Won't be completely broke; got social security comin' in and a small pention. With that we hope to keep the house, have food to eat, and money for meds, and utilities. I am going to have to sell a lot this year (in a STILL down economy) for any extras.

MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH ALL WHO HAVE HAD MISFORTUNE THIS YEAR AND HOPE THINGS GET BETTER FOR YOU NEXT YEAR!

bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"