Shop Security questions - Long

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Maybe not totally off topic, but I don't where to put it elsewhere.

The large free standing building I call shop -24' x 36' - is far enough away from the house that I am concerned that I cannot hear someone lurking about.

Concerns are that methhead robberies are notorious in this community. I do a bit traveling, leaving the cat in charge. Hopeless, I know. :rolleyes:

Pertinent information:
- One double wide overhead garage door on an opener
- One 32" 'people' door with deadbolt
- Two 4' x 4' slider windows on adjoining walls, one of which I cannot see from the house.
- This is a rental property - want something I can take with me.
- I have an old [read slow] laptop that I can dedicate to this project, if need be.
- Or a newer, faster desktop I am not currently using. Would need battery back up though.
- Distance from shop to house ~120 feet.
- Brain of the security system can live in the shop, but I would like an alert, either via phone or
email
- Local response to alarms is measured in hours, so not interested in paying for a 'service'

What I will do is to install interior solid (plywood) shutters on the windows to stymy curious eyes.

Features I'd like:
- Motion detection alerting unauthorized entry
- Disguised cameras, motion detectors, mikes, etc.
- Recorded unauthorized activity, sufficient to be useful to law enforcement
- Wireless communication
- Powered and/or monitored by a laptop - built in battery power, in the event commercial power
is interrupted

How you can help:
- Websites to check out
- Examples from your own systems
- Overview of what all is needed - help design an intelligent system
- Should an audible alert sound as well, knowing they are generally ignored?

Not necessarily looking for the cheapest solution. To replace what is in the building would top $60K, without the car or bike. And yes, it is insured. But, so what? It never is for full replacement value. That is another battle I can do without.

Last edited:
well carol this wil be interesting to see what comes of this, i checked into a security service after i got broke into and like you say its nothing but paying for someone to get there to late.. the audible alarm would deter most, if you hear it. but then your putting yourself in danger are you ready for that? i am from a bad neighborhood as well and now the mind set is different.. i had many chats with out authorities and the prime thing was locks to make them break into which cause us more damage on top of the loss you wil have.. lights help but makes it easier for them to see. there bottom line was that hope for the best and dont advertize what is there.. in my case, i hadnt it was just something to do that night by the perps.. and as for insuring, well plan on 50% and less unless you have total replacement then its depreciated by age and you need to have everything listed right down to the last bracket or base for a router..

Check out Harbor Freight Carol. They have lots of security equipment thats really inexpensive. I don't have a security problem but I put one of their driveway alerts in my driveway to let me know if anyone drives or walks up my driveway. Let's me know when the ups guy is here :)

I think you need the right cat. Not like the one on the inside, more like the one on the outside. Just lock him in the shop when you leave.

20111018__boulder-mountain-lion-vs-cat~p1.jpg

I would start with outside motion sensing lights. Cheap and effective. Everyone knows about them but most thieves are not going to stand around in a flood light and break in at night.

After that I would buy an alarm panel and install switches on all the doors and windows. I would need to know more but I would consider a motion activated switch and glass break detectors as options. But without seeing you building that might not be needed?

Then you have to think like a thief and look for other ANY other possible way into the building other than doors and windows and protect those. Don't over look the obvious either! A cinder block building it easy to knock a hole in the wall for example. Motion detectors are good for things like that but they do false alarm sometimes.

Tie those into a Loud siren mounted out of sight! You don't want it to where they can see and disable it. You can do that yourself for less than $25O if you shop around and it will stop most problems. You can add monitoring if you want but I am not sure it is worth it. If you have a neighbor that will call the police then probably not.

Lot of higher tech options around, but best bang for the buck is a loud alarm to scare them off. Not many will hang around once an alarm starts screaming.

So, suggestions include drilling padlock holes in the garage door track and installing padlocks when I'm gone, installing a piece of steel behind the deadbolt on the people door, installing the inside wooden shutters on the slider windows, use motion detectors to light up the exterior and activate a loud recording of a vicisous dog within, and leave dog dishes, dog poop, and chewed up dog toys around the yard.

The more exotic digital devises can come later. This is a beginning.

Still am open to information on designing a digital monitoring/recording/alerting system. Thoughts?

You could do like they do on construction sites and hang your valuables from a crane, just screw an eyelet in your roof and hoist the whole shop up about 50' in the air.:rofl:

You could do like they do on construction sites and hang your valuables from a crane, just screw an eyelet in your roof and hoist the whole shop up about 50' in the air.:rofl:

Ah the old crane trick.........Just makes it faster to load on the truck.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl: And ya get it all in one shot :thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
If I am not mistaken in order to use any of the video footage against the perp you would have to post in plane sight signs warning that they are being taped. Lots of people find that just the sign is enough to warn off most would be robbers.

Did not mean to ignore your recording ideas. I think it is a good plan B. But you should prevent them from ever getting in and stealing anything first. I would a lot rather scare them away in the first place than have pictures of them stealing my stuff. Recording is only good in getting them in jail, does nothing to save your from a loss.

not to contradict ? MR Horton. but if you are in an area where dogs or cats are present, you may need to alter your locations of motion senors or you could be crying wolf and the neighbors will not help in the phone call.. that is the case in my area.. there may be ways to set this up to stop those other triggers , but just need to look at those possibilties carol

Just thinking......I would assume that crackheads are looking for quick grab and go items. Your stationary tools would be too heavy and cumbersome to get out of the people door. So maybe if you invested in a lockable job box to keep your hand and power tools in and did the channel padlocks on the overhead doors there would be nothing for the bad guys to steal :dunno:
Harbor Freight sells dummy security cameras. Maybe a few of those by the doors with motion detecting lights would do the job. Also, engrave your name onto your tools if possible.

How about your house. Any security problems there. I would think that the house would be the first place they would look if your not home.

You may also want to introduce yourself to the local pawn shops. If they find a tool with your name on it they will know who they bought it from and you can call he police.

one thing on the engraved names,, when i had my brek in i was able to recover afew items from the loot they got from me and others but there was stuff there with names that the officer didnt realize was there so they must not have looked very close.. i pointed it out to him and they then got in touch with the owner.. also the pawn shops in my area dont know me and from what i found out from them when looking for a item that i never retrieved was that they really dont ask questions and just get the items they want for what ever price.. this was right from two different pawn shops near me.

I think you need the right cat. Not like the one on the inside, more like the one on the outside. Just lock him in the shop when you leave.

20111018__boulder-mountain-lion-vs-cat~p1.jpg

I was going to suggest a big dog, but I think the cat will work.

We had one similar in a cage that was being shipped from SFO airport to the OKC zoo... he only stuck one arm out of the cage (through a hole he tore in aluminum cage) and cleared the ramp until animal control arrived.

So, suggestions include drilling padlock holes in the garage door track and installing padlocks when I'm gone, installing a piece of steel behind the deadbolt on the people door, installing the inside wooden shutters on the slider windows, use motion detectors to light up the exterior and activate a loud recording of a vicisous dog within, and leave dog dishes, dog poop, and chewed up dog toys around the yard.

The more exotic digital devises can come later. This is a beginning.

Still am open to information on designing a digital monitoring/recording/alerting system. Thoughts

Big huge well chewed bone outside in the yard.

Why not leave the stuff you want to get rid of outside of your shop? Maybe they would take that and be happy for the night's haul :rofl: Seriously, no place is safe if someone (smart enough) is determined to get it. Best thing to do is make sure you have videos of your stuff, for insurance, just in case

Sharon makes a really good point. It's worth taking the time to document your belongings to make things go easier with your insurance company should you have to deal with them. The basic things of making things harder for thieves and not worth the hassle will make most shy away.

I've been testing out iSpy Connect (free), which you can hook to a web cam or IP cameras for recording any activity. You can set it up to detect movement and start recording. You can also have it upload pictures on alerts to an FTP server. There are several other software programs out there that can even send you a text or email you in the event of an alert. I'm putting a camera on the driveway to capture people coming and going. If you do try the software, download the 3.4.3.0 version, alerts didn't work in the latest version.

If you want to get internet out to your shop and don't want to have to run cable, take a look at the powerline products. I've been using a set to get internet to mine and they've been working really well.