Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning tools holder/rack?

Turning tools holder/rack?

Can some of you post pics of the rack you use to rest your turning tools on? By nature of layout, mine has to go on the wall behind my lathe, which is within arm's reach. I just threw one together but don't think it's going to work out. Thanks.
    Jerry

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    not much but here is mine,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1759.jpg  
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Hi,

I went down to the shop and took some pics of mine. There is at least one photo with it fully loaded; the rest are partially loaded so you can see the construction. The holes are one-inch. Your's could easily be different or in other words, measure your tools prior to drilling. Two of my one-inch holes have notches extending outwards to handle 1.25 inch wide blades (the one-inch hole stops the handle from going through).

The material is particle board with shellac finish to keep it from crumbling.

I need a larger unit and will make it as soon as I can find time. Time is also the reason I didn't clean up the mess prior to playing photographer.

Enjoy,

JimBAttachment 63958Attachment 63959Attachment 63960Attachment 63961Attachment 63962
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Here's mine. It's very sophisticated and I'm considering a patent, but just for the grape box. That leaves lots of other boxes for you guys to try.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1483.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	63981

I used 1" PVC, with the ends cut at an angle so I could used screws to attach it to a freestanding box. For wall mounting, you wouldn't necessarily need the box.

Name:	Turning Tool Rack 01 - 800.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	63982 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turning Tool Rack 02 - 800.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	63983 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turning Tool Rack 03 - 800.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	63984

I built it about a year and a half ago, and it has held up very well.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Here's mine. It's very sophisticated and I'm considering a patent, but just for the grape box. That leaves lots of other boxes for you guys to try.

Name:	DSC_1483.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	63981
    Those are some fine looking tools in your "junk???" pile. I assume you keep your diamond ring with your files. Sorry, the devil made me write that. The good side is that you gave me a good laugh.

Enjoy and sharpen often,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

I made one that is mobile and its on rollers so I can take it outside into the driveway and place it how I want it. I usually have it close to me in back of where Im standing or to the side so i can turn around and reach for whatever I need to use.

In the pictures you can see how I built it and can add additional shelves or whatever I need if I want to expand. In the picture it is a total mess right now because I was rearranging things and piled things up on it, and alot of my tools are under the lathe and not in the picture but I find it handy the way I did it.........

The paper plates (food plates ) are for my shop cats that hang out with me when im out there turning.........LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mobile Rack-1.jpg   Mobile Rack-2.jpg  
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 01-02-2012 at 05:20 AM.
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

I built a rolling cart for my turning accessories and then put two tool racks on the outside. One tool rack is on the back and one tool rack on one side. I roll it near my lathe and when I turn, I position it so the drawers face away from the lathe and the tool racks are towards the lathe. This keeps fewer chips and dust from infiltraiting the drawers and places the tool racks towards me for easy access.That's right Larry! They aren't laying on the bed extention any more......LOL!

Name:	proj6.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	63999
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-02-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    not much but here is mine,
    Put a bar magnet on top & it'll work fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turning 18.jpg  
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 01-02-2012 at 06:01 AM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Good and timely thread.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.