Turning tools holder/rack?

Can some of you post pics of the rack you use to rest your turning tools on? By nature of layout, mine has to go on the wall behind my lathe, which is within arm's reach. I just threw one together but don't think it's going to work out. Thanks.
Jerry

Hi,

I went down to the shop and took some pics of mine. There is at least one photo with it fully loaded; the rest are partially loaded so you can see the construction. The holes are one-inch. Your's could easily be different or in other words, measure your tools prior to drilling. Two of my one-inch holes have notches extending outwards to handle 1.25 inch wide blades (the one-inch hole stops the handle from going through).

The material is particle board with shellac finish to keep it from crumbling.

I need a larger unit and will make it as soon as I can find time. Time is also the reason I didn't clean up the mess prior to playing photographer.

Enjoy,

JimBView attachment 63958View attachment 63959View attachment 63960View attachment 63961View attachment 63962

Here's mine. It's very sophisticated and I'm considering a patent, but just for the grape box. That leaves lots of other boxes for you guys to try.
DSC_1483.jpg

I used 1" PVC, with the ends cut at an angle so I could used screws to attach it to a freestanding box. For wall mounting, you wouldn't necessarily need the box.

Turning Tool Rack 01 - 800.jpg Turning Tool Rack 02 - 800.jpg Turning Tool Rack 03 - 800.jpg

I built it about a year and a half ago, and it has held up very well.

Here's mine. It's very sophisticated and I'm considering a patent, but just for the grape box. That leaves lots of other boxes for you guys to try.
View attachment 63981

Those are some fine looking tools in your "junk???" pile. I assume you keep your diamond ring with your files. Sorry, the devil made me write that. The good side is that you gave me a good laugh.

Enjoy and sharpen often,

JimB

I made one that is mobile and its on rollers so I can take it outside into the driveway and place it how I want it. I usually have it close to me in back of where Im standing or to the side so i can turn around and reach for whatever I need to use.

In the pictures you can see how I built it and can add additional shelves or whatever I need if I want to expand. In the picture it is a total mess right now because I was rearranging things and piled things up on it, and alot of my tools are under the lathe and not in the picture but I find it handy the way I did it.........

The paper plates (food plates ) are for my shop cats that hang out with me when im out there turning.........LOL

Attachments

• mobile Rack-1.jpg
    mobile Rack-1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Mobile Rack-2.jpg
    Mobile Rack-2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I built a rolling cart for my turning accessories and then put two tool racks on the outside. One tool rack is on the back and one tool rack on one side. I roll it near my lathe and when I turn, I position it so the drawers face away from the lathe and the tool racks are towards the lathe. This keeps fewer chips and dust from infiltraiting the drawers and places the tool racks towards me for easy access.That's right Larry! They aren't laying on the bed extention any more......LOL!
proj6.jpg

Last edited:
here's mine

I drilled through one layer of 3/4 mdf and glued a 1/2" piece on the bottom. The pvc pipe is a friction fit. I built a table to hold my mini and the tools live behind the lathe. I added a few extra holes for future expansion, which I need to add a few more pieces of pipe.

001.jpg

Cheapskate

Well being a real meanie I came up with this.
The drawers are 2 old bedside cabinets screwed together which hold most of my nuts & bolts etc. No cost as they were being thrown out.
The tray is a bakers plastic bread tray cut down on the front edge. No cost.
Just screwed on 4 wheels from an old office chair for mobility.. No cost.

Hope this gives someone an idea.

Cheers
Col

xIMGP7886.jpg

I don't have a good clear shot of my tool holder... the first picture was my original design.. all the tools laid out on a tray, but it didn't allow for much expansion and was a little unyielding to move about... the second rack with all of the tools standing upright works best for me and sits at the tailstock end of my lathes... the lathes are sitting perpendicular to each other, the big lathe (not the Ridgid in the picture - a Jet 1442 sits in the middle of the shop with the little lathe butted up to the end of it.

Shop 244.JPGShop 8-6-7.jpg

Well being a real meanie I came up with this.
The drawers are 2 old bedside cabinets screwed together which hold most of my nuts & bolts etc. No cost as they were being thrown out.
The tray is a bakers plastic bread tray cut down on the front edge. No cost.
Just screwed on 4 wheels from an old office chair for mobility.. No cost.

Hope this gives someone an idea.

Cheers
Col

View attachment 64394

Clever idea and Cynthia should really like the color.

Man, you must be rich---two steady rests.

Enjoy,

JimB

No way am I rich.

I bought the timber steady at a club meeting for $20 & I have since made several to this design.

The metal steady was part of a job lot which included another steady plus a deep hollowing tool & chisels, all for $50

BTW....Who is Cynthia ?

Cheers
Col

Col,

Sorry for the late response. I had not visited this thread for awhile.

To answer your question, Cynthia White is a sweetheart. She is a real enthusiastic, active person who jumps right in and gets things done. Her claim to fame is that she started 2,000 threads her first two years in woodworking. She wanted to learn so she asked questions, all kinds of questions, and she got answers. Her box, in the box swap, had construction that would slow down a lot of "old timers."

I have a lot of respect for the lady!

Enjoy,

JimB