Coffee Mug

Here is the other last turning from 2011. It is a coffee mug kit from Smooth Turnings. It is scrap pieces of walnut and cherry I had lying around. Finished with GF Woodturners Finish. Took it with other pieces to my home town to visit my sister. My youngest brother was there also. I went to pack up my stuff I had brought but no mug. I didn't say anything but about a 1/2 hr later here comes my brother saying he just couldn't do it. I said do what. He had the mug stashed in his suitcase.:rofl: So guess what he is getting for his birthday?

Attachments

• Coffee Mug 1.jpg
    Coffee Mug 1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 55
  • Coffee Mug 2.jpg
    Coffee Mug 2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 39
Thanks to all.

Dennis I did just that.

Bob the first one always takes some time but as far as being hard to make I found it rather simple to do. Lots of testing with making sure the inside matches the SS insert. I used my Easy Wood finisher and it made it pretty easy.

Lots of testing with making sure the inside matches the SS insert.

Bernie, I cut a piece of 1/8" Masonite to the shape of the SS insert to use for sizing the inside. Don't have to move tool rest to check fit and you can look inside to see what material needs to be removed. Seems to work well.

I have made several of these mug sleeves and if it helps:

1 - I buy the travel mugs from Walmart for about $6.00 each - sometimes they are different in sizes - tall to short and rounder
2 - I use alot of branches for sleeves - works well
3 - Round it - tennon on one end - true it up - set calipers to largest diameter plus 1/4" or so and cut it to that thickness - set to smaller diameter plus 1/4" or so for the bottom
but, go 1/2" longer to account for the bottom of the sleeve - and cut to that diameter - then simply shape from largest diameter to smallest - then your ready to hollow
4 - hollowing with the Ci1 is the way I do it and is fairly fast - couple test fits and im done except finish sanding etc.......
Note:::: If its green wood make your hollowing a slight bit larger in diameter to account for shrinking when it dries - or more sanding with 60 grit - either way will work

Actually on U-tube Capn Eddie does a video similar to the way I explained................anybody do it another way ??

Last edited:
Your welcome Rob. Went to Wally World yesterday and couldn't believe they didn't have one travel mug that wasn't plastic. They had none of those with the Stainless Steel insert.