Woodwright's Shop - 2011

That roubo bookstand looks nice and tricky. Might make for a nice Ipad stand...

It's easier than it looks, the only hassle is sawing it after carving the knuckle joints. I'll see if I can get a pic of the one I made and gave away. It was made of basswood for ease of chiseling. Only took about three hours from layout to finish.

And thanks for the link Bill:thumb:

Roger Newby said:
It's easier than it looks, the only hassle is sawing it after carving the knuckle joints. I'll see if I can get a pic of the one I made and gave away. It was made of basswood for ease of chiseling. Only took about three hours from layout to finish.

I'd love to see the pictures. That would be a fun project if for nothing more than practice cutting knuckle joints!

:rofl::rofl: Brent i should have known you would get hooked on that stand. So did i. To the extent that it caused me to start a bow saw (which aint finished yet..) to be able to do a total Roubo stunt and use a single piece of wood to get two stands. I am gonna make two out of a slab of Mi walnut. They look too cool for sure. I am dying to see that knuckle joint work. Will post pics in 2013 when i get done:rofl:

I saw the 'Roubo bookstand' segment and Roy made it look easy.
I ordered a nice piece of walnut and started chiseling the knuckle joints like Roy Underhill explained.
But after completing one side of the knuckle joints I turned the board over to chisel the other side and
was disappointed when I cracked the board into two pieces. Lucky for me I had to trim a piece off the
walnut board I ordered because there was a small crack in the top right corner. After trimming it left me
with a "practice" piece about 4 1/2" X 6" but like I said - it cracked into two pieces. So, I still have a good
chuck of walnut for my Roubo bookstand but now I think I should practice on some other "wood."
Basswood = easy chiseling?
I wasn't able to find a paring chisel as thin as the one that Roy uses on his show.
Did I make a mistake by chiseling one side completely and then doing the other side?

No cupping and the board was fully flat on my wooden workbench while chiseling.
I asked my neighbor and he said that maybe I need to just take off a little at a time and
not hit it so hard. I am a complete newbie and this is my first wood project. So I am
chiseling softer (lighter taps) on my yet even smaller walnut practice board and it
seems to be going pretty smoothly. But if it cracks I most definitely will try some other
softer wood. At least that is my current plan. Thanks.

Sorry to go off topic, but Carlos, depending on how and where the board cracked/broke, chances are it can be glued back together, and the repair will quite possibly be nearly invisible. As an example, here are some before and after photos of a redwood platter I repaired and refinished a couple of years ago:

The Break - Front

Bud's Platter - 01 800.jpg

The Break - Back

Bud's Platter - 02 800.jpg

Glued, Sanded and Ready for Finish

Bud's Platter - 07 800.jpg

Fixed - Front

Bud's Platter - 09 800.jpg

Fixed - Back

Bud's Platter - 10 800.jpg

That platter turned out really nice. Glue in certain scenarios could be a lifesaver.
But a crack on the knuckle joint makes me unsure if it would hold up.
Anyway what cracked into two pieces was my "practice" walnut board so
even though I was disappointed with my initial attempt my second try is so
far working out okay.

...But a crack on the knuckle joint makes me unsure if it would hold up...

I understand not wanting to go to heroic efforts on a practice piece, but for future reference, the glue joint will actually be stronger than the wood itself if the surfaces you're gluing together mate up tightly. (That's assuming using something like Titebond wood glue.)

Glad to hear the second attempt is going well. :thumb: