Cabinet Door Problems

Ed Nelson

A couple months ago I finished a built in unit with the exception of the three front doors. The two side units had the doors, but I didn't get a pic with them installed.
HomanBookcase007.jpg

The reason we held off on the middle unit doors was because the sub woofer was going in the left side and her components were going in the right side and we were figuring out how to handle the speaker. By the way the doors are full inset, raised panel doors. Anyway, I got the doors put together and somehow managed to build each door about a 1/4" too small:doh: Soooo, I have knocked the frames off the panels and am now in the process of re-building them.:(

I think I'm going to avoid full inset doors for a while!

Oof!!!!
Coulld you have wrapped the door edges with 1/8" bead strips?

Thought of trying something like that, but they wouldn't match the other 4 doors. I am making the rails and stiles an 1/8" wider and before I paint them, I'll scribe the opening. I also found I didn't have the door openings perfectly square, so now I have to make the doors fit the openings.

Is this what experience feels like???

The lady I'm doing this project for is very nice and tried to tell me not to worry about it, that the 1/4 gap didn't bother her. I told her thanks, but it really bothered me and I want it to be done right!

Oh ya. I've messed up a few doors along the way. :eek:

I usually find my mistakes when installing them.
I have 54 maple doors loaded in the pickup, ready to put on tomorrow.
I pulled them out of the finish room, drilling the euro hinge holes, matching them together, wrapping them in blankets.
I was going over my list, mating them up together in blankets.
I found one single door the wasn't on my list. :huh: :huh:

I left it till last, then found it. It was an inch too wide. :eek: :( :huh:

Looked over my measurements on my door sheet, and sure enough, I wrote down the rail length an inch too long.:( :( :(

So I remade the rail and stiles. I salvaged the panel luckily:D :thumb:

...............The lady I'm doing this project for is very nice and tried to tell me not to worry about it, that the 1/4 gap didn't bother her. I told her thanks, but it really bothered me and I want it to be done right!

Sorry I can't help you with the doors, but your response to the nice lady, that, was the correct one! :thumb: