Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning sandpaper

cleaning sandpaper

Here's a tip that I have never heard before, maybe you already know of it. I came across this in a magazine of shop tips I received for xmas. Save your corks from wine bottles and use them to clean your sanding disks and belts. Run them across the paper with the machine running as you would a piece of wood. I tried this yesterday, it cleaned the sandpaper just like new. The tip says you can use natural or synthetic cork. Now here's a great reason to open another bottle!

Great tip Sayer! Hadn't heard that one before. I've got an old stick of gum rubber that I've had for 10 years now, will probably last for at least another 20 if I don't lose it.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Nice, I'll have to keep that in mind. I've got some corks stashed in the shop, just because sometimes they come in handy. Good to know there's another use for them!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I just toss it and get new.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Question is.........How many bottles of wine does it take to clean a 6 X 89 belt on an edge sander?
    Norm

I have a mind like a steel trap....
    ....rusty and illegal in 29 states.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Michelsen View Post
    Question is.........How many bottles of wine does it take to clean a 6 X 89 belt on an edge sander?
    Too many to be operate the machine and attempt to clean the belt
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Nice tip, thanks I use one of those 'stick of butter' looking rubber thingys Darren's probably talking about....anything beats cleaning, over the skin and knuckles I've tried on many occasions

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
    Nice tip, thanks I use one of those 'stick of butter' looking rubber thingys Darren's probably talking about....anything beats cleaning, over the skin and knuckles I've tried on many occasions

The coc won't let me tell you what the tradespeople call the belt cleaners But they sure work well.

Great tip on the corks, I'll give it a try
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I just toss it and get new.

That's my deal too, I'd spend more time getting it clean than the paper is actually worth.

I have heard of pressure washing wide belt belts when doing something nasty like pine because it gums up the abrasive so badly. I could see that being worth while when you've basically destroyed a few $80 belts
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

Don and Karl, have you actually used one of the rubber sandpaper cleaners? It takes me less time to clean a partially used sanding disk than it does to replace it. This is particularly true for the 2" and 3" disks I use on the lathe. If I use a disk for a couple of minutes, it's not ready to be thrown away, and if I touch it to the cleaner stick as the sander is coming to a stop, it's ready for use on the next piece. (I also will hit it with a blast from the air hose, since I've got it in hand to blow off the workpiece after each grit, too.)

Don't knock it until you've tried it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com