Thread: RIKON Model 70-450 20 x 37 Woodfast Lathe EVS

RIKON Model 70-450 20 x 37 Woodfast Lathe EVS

What are your thoughts on this lathe?

http://www.toolcenter.com/70-450.html
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I looked at it at the local Woodcraft store when it first came out and were I in the market for a bigger lathe it certainly would be on my list.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Most of the things said about the Woodfast lathes has been very good.
    Dennis

I think I saw this lathe on "Rough Cut" on PBS this weekend. Looked great on there. I'm not a big fan of rotating headstocks as getting the centers lined up after can be a problem.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I haven't tried this one, but the 70-100 was a VERY GOOD lathe at a reasonable price.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Not sure about any others, but my local Woodcraft is having a Rikon sale this saturday the 14th. ALL Rikon tools 15% off, one day only.

you already have one of those bad spinny things why you want to cause more problems by getting a second one
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    you already have one of those bad spinny things why you want to cause more problems by getting a second one
    So I can share the wealth & give a lathe to a friend that makes toys & other small items & is in need of a lathe. I have 3 lathes, My Dad's Craftsman tube style lathe will be a buffer, a Jet mini won as a prize at a wood turning BBQ picnic, & a 1930's Delta double duty lathe. The Jet will receive an bed extension to turn small items & spindles & the new lathe will be to turn larger items. The Delta will go to my friend. The whole process is on hold accept for the research, until I get back to work.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart