ROS Pad Question

Dan Mooney

I have a B&D ROS, and the velcro keeps coming off the pad. I've replaced the pads twice with new ones and re-glued the velcro at least 5 times. I've used everything from contact cement, titebond, craft glue, spray on glue. I clean both pieces well with denatured alcohol before I apply the glue.

Anyone else have this problem??

Attachments

• Sander.01.jpg
    Sander.01.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Sander.02.jpg
    Sander.02.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
i havnt had this problem dan, maybe its time to change to a bosch or other brand. got porter cable's that are still working for over ten years.. have switched to bosch last couple years because of the dust factor and better abrasive pattern.

I have a B&D ROS, and the velcro keeps coming off the pad. I've replaced the pads twice with new ones and re-glued the velcro at least 5 times. I've used everything from contact cement, titebond, craft glue, spray on glue. I clean both pieces well with denatured alcohol before I apply the glue.

Anyone else have this problem??

Both Titebond and Craft Glue are intended for porous surfaces like wood, fabric, leather, paper. These are not porous.

The generally available spray-on glues are not strong - they are great for holding a pattern to a piece of wood for sawing, but not structural.

I am surprised that the contact cement didn't hold, but maybe it is because it does not withstand heat, and a sanding pad can get warm.

As much as I generally hate Polyurethane glue, I did fix one sanding pad with poly (different type of sander) and it worked.

Another thought about the pads coming loose: How much pressure are you applying to the sander? The weight of the sander should be enough to do the job when using the right grit. Applying a lot of pressure to "help" the sander will cause the paper and pad to heat up and cause adhesive failure.

Yep - speaking from personal experience.

I say try another brand as well. I have a Porter Cable 333 ros for well over 10 years and the sandpaper still holds like it was new. I can't even think about how many 5 hole disks I've gone through. It's gotta be well over 600.

I've got a 6" PC that I bought in the mid 90s. I'm one of those 'odd ball' woodworkers who enjoy sanding. As a result I've gone through ALOT of sandpaper on that tool. NEVER had any of it come off on it's own. I agree with whats been said previously........time to upgrade!

I have a Bosch sander that they no longer make a replacement pad for. I bought velcro to replace mine once it wore off. I have never found anything that would keep the replacement on for very long. 5 minute epoxy works best, but not great. So no, your not alone.