Tapering shoulders of a mortise and tennon.

Rob Keeble

I am looking for input on how one would go about putting a convex taper on two flatsides of a tennon shoulder and like wise match it with a convex hollow on the mortise face.

I can see the mortise working with a spokeshave but the tennon shoulder i can only see getting done with a shoulderplane.

Any other input please. Building a gramecy turning saw and the cross bar should ideally rock on its mortise and tennon not essential but hey i am looking at the challenge not the easy way out:)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Rob, I think I'd make a paper or laminate template, use it to draw a fine pencil line on the tenon shoulder and the side of the face of the mortise, then remove material to the lines with a file, rasp, sanding block, chisel, or spokeshave, whatever seems to work best for you.

I just looked at the one I bought from Joel and I agree with what Ken suggests. It is a real gentle curve. I suspect they used a sanding drum or something for the mortise face.

Bingo Bill sanding drum. Now why the heck could i not retrieve that from memory. Duh.

Thank you Ken and Bill now i am off to the races
Woods all cut to length and template was already glued Ken.
If it was not for Nn would have gone out now and finished it.:)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk