Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench Vise

Workbench Vise

There is story behind this vise build and installation, but today just some pictures of the results. Tomorrow I will give details of the installation & the problems (!) with pictures. The vise works great!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0617.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	64068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0618.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	64069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0619.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	64070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0620.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	64071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0621.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	64072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0622.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	64073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0623.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	64074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0624.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	64075
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Great looking bench and vice. I assume there's some chain linkage somewhere?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Great looking bench and vice. I assume there's some chain linkage somewhere?
    Yes indeed.

Name:	DSCN0597.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	64076
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

It sure is going to be a pleasure for you to work in that bench Bill, it is fantastic

well the truck will never see the inside of that garage again and you have bench will need to build again, projects in the future???? good thing you bought that vice many years before the vice was born
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Bill strange thing for me i only just realized seeing these pictures that its a one handle vice. That my friend is cool. The full width double screw that lv has requires two handles that always put me off.

Now the million dollar question for me outside of the issues of precision required to make it work is does it work like one would expect. Ie turn handle and it opens equally with no racking?

Then how does it do on the tightening side?

There is another question i have for you related to your bench which is was there any particular reasoning behind the holes in the side of the bench.

This is a subject i am sure could do with some research. Loads of info abounds about building benches as they were back in the day and when it comes to both bench dog holes and deadman holes although we get to make em where we want em, i remain convinced that the true artisan of yesteryear would have developed a specific precise logic related to both bench dog holes and deadman holes and the dimensions they are apart together with their positioning around the bench. So just wondering if you came across any in your research?
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Now the million dollar question for me outside of the issues of precision required to make it work is does it work like one would expect. Ie turn handle and it opens equally with no racking?
    Then how does it do on the tightening side?
    It works just like it I hoped it would. There is no racking and it opens and closes equally. The timing is only off a hair where one side closes first, but only a hair. If I clamp a piece of paper at each end of the vise and tighten down until one of them will not come out, the other will just pull out of the vise. It is part of the installation process were you establish the timing of the twin screws. I over compensated in my adjustment, but it is hardly noticeable now and will be even less when I install leather on the jaw faces. With the twin screws and the massive steel garters, this vise can really apply the pressure.

Name:	DSCN0615.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	64098 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0616.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	64099

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    There is another question i have for you related to your bench which is was there any particular reasoning behind the holes in the side of the bench.

This is a subject i am sure could do with some research. Loads of info abounds about building benches as they were back in the day and when it comes to both bench dog holes and deadman holes although we get to make em where we want em, i remain convinced that the true artisan of yesteryear would have developed a specific precise logic related to both bench dog holes and deadman holes and the dimensions they are apart together with their positioning around the bench. So just wondering if you came across any in your research?
    I followed the Anthony Hays Shop's bench design at Colonial Williamsburg for the most part. It gives the general arrangement of the holes in the side, but no dimensions. I can not remember the logic I used to calculate my holes. I worked it up in Google sketchup. I will have to look at it to remember. I also studied the picture of the benches at the Shop and determined things like the holes spacing and chop size based on what it looked like in the picture and how it then looked on my sketch. I tried to maintain the same proportions.

Name:	benchnicholson.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	64097 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Williamsburg.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	64100
    Last edited by Bill Satko; 01-04-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Wow, that vise and bench is just awesome. Terrific job!

Cool looking bench and vise Bill, I'm sure they will lead to making great and beatigul projects. You are reviving my willingness of making another bench for myself.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...