Shop cart build/ Update 1-4-12

OK, seeing as this was my bright idea and it has died on the vine. I am building a cart.

Once again, there is NO time limit on when to start or when to complete. A person can jump into the area of the board anytime they wish and show a build, or even ask questions. No real given sizes or limits. A cart could be a cart for your BBQ, for your shop, a liquor cart in the den. Only requirement is a a cart.

When I tossed out the idea, this was what I had in mind. It is from "Shopnotes, Setting Up Shop". If you want to build this same cart, please purchase the magazine.
SC2.jpg
SC3.jpg

So the first thing, is to figure out the changes I want to make. I am making a couple changes. Dropping the pipe handles, changing the height.
SC1.jpg
SC4.jpg

OK, I have it figured out and drawn to make sure the dados, don't interfere with each other.

Last edited:
nice job there steve,, and i really like the finish and the joinery is top of the line now if you just get the tool holder finished you be ready to slide all day long down that slippery slope:)

So now I have the boards all sized and dados in place.
SC5.jpg

Guess a dry assembly would make since to make sure it all goes together.
SC6.jpg

After the glue up, I needed to make sure the objects were going to fit. I played around with the height, after I got the locking casters mounted. The plan called for a finished top size of 50". I am thinking more like 54" to work for me.
SC7.jpg

Next will be selecting the material for the trim work and stuff.

Now the trim work is done in Cherry. I had a bunch of 5/4 stuff I picked up a year or so back. Between the knots and damage to the stuff, it finished out at 1 1/8.

SC8.jpg
SC9.jpg
SC10.jpg

While figuring out the top, I had one of those crazy ideas. It will make sense later.
SC11.jpg

For the cords I needed what was in the plans. I made a simple jig, so I never have to do this again.
SC12.jpg

And her she is, all finished. Well finished for now. I will wait on the drawers until later. I like to leave it open so I can see what I stuff in the compartment. I then make the drawers to hold that stuff. Beats making mistakes and wanting something different later. Also need to make racks for each end to hold knives.
SC13.jpg
SC14.jpg
SC17.jpg

Now for the crazy idea. You have to understand, I know nothing about a lathe. I have turned this one on twice in the year I have had it. One of those good deals, so I bought it. Anyway, I guess when you are turning something, you use different tools. well I need a place for those tools. So I made up some pull out holders.
SC15.jpg
SC16.jpg

Well there, you are caught up with where I am at. I actually started on this New Years day.

I wish the idea for the build took off. Glad you're stirring up some interest again :).

Great job on the cart:thumb: Sure is some pretty cherry, I'd hate to use it on a shop cart. Pretty neat idea for the tool holders I bet you could submit the idea to shopnotes and get published :D

Very nice mon ami. And i am right behind you with this project. Not the same but your idea did not die on the vine. Its just circling the airport with my other 12 projects waiting for time and a landing strip to become available. Heck i even got my wood and wheels for my lot. Ok some of my wheels are in another country in custody but they gonna land when they are needed. :)

As to the extra tool holders THAT my friend is a clever idea. If its yours originally send it in to Shop Notes.

The grinder brings up the point about does one have two grinders if one has a lathe? This is what i am beginning to believe.

Well Brent now you mention it i can actually see three. One for heavy duty grinding such as axes etc anything that needs a quick grind one for lathe tools and one for chisels and plane blades. :)