Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Floor Lamp.... W.I.P.

Walnut Floor Lamp.... W.I.P.

Swmbo has been wanting a nicer floor lamp. We shopped local stores, anything that she liked ran $300 to $400+ . Found some wood ones during a online search Swmbo seemed to like, so I started looking for plans to build one. Very few plans out there! I did find this one during an image search which looks neat so I got started on the top.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The-Floor-Lamp-112.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	64108

Name:	IMG_5243.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	64109
    hobby woodworking since 1972

Hey Bryan, here's a picture of a floor lamp that someone sent me quite a few years ago. Probably at least 7 years ago. These pictures were posted on another forum and I asked the person that made them if he would send me the pics and plans. He didn't have plans, at least not that I remember, but he sent this pic. Maybe your wife would like this design.

Name:	floor lamps.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	64114

It seems it would be pretty easy to build. The only hard part would be finding someone to do the leaded stained glass shades. I was going to build them using some of the cherry that I harvested from my property, but never got around to doing it. Anyway, if you do build them be sure and post pictures.

I like them, Karl. Got any dimensions? I only need one to extrapolate the rest.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

No dimensions Carol. If my memory serves me, which it doesn't very often anymore, they were about 60" high.

I think I was going to do them to a height of 60" so it could go behind our couch and light the entire couch.

I would think you could even make a table lamp that looks like them, just cut down the sizes.

2nd piece turned. Picked up a floor lamp for parts, $3 at Goodwill store. The 5 pound steel ring will add some weight to the base.

Name:	IMG_5246.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	64157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5247.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	64158

bryan, Id be interested in knowing if you are going to pass a tube to hold the electrical wire through the center of it, and how will you drill out the center?
    Human Test Dummy

Thanks, Karl. That helps.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Name:	IMG_5248.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	64159
    Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    bryan, Id be interested in knowing if you are going to pass a tube to hold the electrical wire through the center of it, and how will you drill out the center?
    Laminating 5 pcs of 1" ruff stock for the 4" x 41" turning blank. This is for the centre section, & left a 3/8" gap for the electrical wire. I cut 3/8"x2" piece to plug the ends for the lathe work.

thanx, was wondering if you were going to glue up or use solid stock, since I couldnt figure out with solid stock how youd make a long section without drilling.
    now that I got that, Im figuring you are going to drill out the centers of the top and base pieces, then attach them to the center piece with dowels? dominos? biscuits?(dowel screws are out)
    Last edited by allen levine; 01-05-2012 at 07:21 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    thanx, was wondering if you were going to glue up or use solid stock, since I couldnt figure out with solid stock how youd make a long section without drilling.
    now that I got that, Im figuring you are going to drill out the centers of the top and base pieces, then attach them to the center piece with dowels? dominos? biscuits?(dowel screws are out)
    Actually Allen If I were doing it I would turn a mortise in the top and base piece and then a tenionin each end of the center section.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward