Stanley 45

Tom Becnel

I picked up an old 45 several months back and I finally got around to cleaning it up. Boy does that nickel shine! It really surprised me how well it cleaned up and I just have to share it with someone!

Btw, I immersed all of the metal parts in evaporust over night then gently cleaned with 00 brass wool and a micro scaler/pick.

Attachments

• image-1932689768.jpg
    image-1932689768.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 45
  • image-1910196507.jpg
    image-1910196507.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 47
  • image-1194585155.jpg
    image-1194585155.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 40
  • image-3461448173.jpg
    image-3461448173.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 43
  • image-1254327349.jpg
    image-1254327349.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 42
  • image-2937287721.jpg
    image-2937287721.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 39
Rob Keeble said:
Nice clean up Tom and if you watch the making a panel door on the pbs show the woodwrights shop with Roy Underhill you get to see how nice those babys work. I was amazed.

Thanks! Old Roy is the master! I have a hand tools build thread / tutorial of sorts on a piece with raised panels on another site with the 45 and other planes. I'll have to figure out how to link it here unless that's frowned upon.

I need to find more irons for it. I considered making em but I have a hard time justifying making moulding blades for a 45 when they could instead be in a dedicated wood plane. I need to retire and do both :laughing:

Rob Keeble said:
Nice clean up Tom and if you watch the making a panel door on the pbs show the woodwrights shop with Roy Underhill you get to see how nice those babys work. I was amazed.

I got a chance to watch Roy this morn from the link you posted. It was quite enjoyable! Thanks for the link, it had been a while since I had time to watch him at work.

Btw, I'm sorry if I came across as cocky on my above reply, I'm here to learn and it probably didn't come out that way above.

I have a hand tools build thread / tutorial of sorts on a piece with raised panels on another site with the 45 and other planes. I'll have to figure out how to link it here unless that's frowned upon.

I would like to see it and I am sure others would also. The link is not a problem here.

Btw, I'm sorry if I came across as cocky on my above reply, I'm here to learn and it probably didn't come out that way above.

I did not take it that way at all. We are all here to learn from each other. Welcome to the forum!

Bill Satko said:
I would like to see it and I am sure others would also. The link is not a problem here.

I did not take it that way at all. We are all here to learn from each other. Welcome to the forum!

Here's the thread, it's more about the panels than anything, but also showed a bit of simple ogee moulding making with the 45 as well.

It's nothing much, I'm extremely humbled by the incredible hand tool work by the guys over here!

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f11/making-raised-panels-hand-tools-33353/

Thanks for sharing the link Tom. No worries here as Bill said about linking.
I am amazes at how that 45 accomplishes the task. But seeing you make those legs with a drawknife that must have been fun.

Hope you stick around and post some more. We wont mind at all;):)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk