Elm Bowl

Yesterday I had a request for a couple of bowls. A friend of mine I haven't seen since high school saw one of the bowls my sister has at her place in my home town. The gal wanted to know how to contact me as she wanted two bowls. So she messaged me on face book and wanted me to make her two bowls. One she wanted larger for a fruit display bowl and one smaller for a change bowl in their walk in closet. So I got to work yesterday. Turned a Elm bowl which is 11 1/2" X 4". It has one coat of tung oil on it when the picture was taken. I put the second coat on today. Tomorrow it will get the third and final coat.

Attachments

• Elm Fruit Bowl 1.jpg
    Elm Fruit Bowl 1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Elm Fruit Bowl 2.jpg
    Elm Fruit Bowl 2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Elm Fruit Bowl 3.jpg
    Elm Fruit Bowl 3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 28
Very nice Bernie! I have some elm that is about ready to finish...I know what you mean about tearout. Pretty wood though!

That is such pretty wood... I had an elm tree cut just after we moved up here and had to stack it behind the shop as no other place to put it and no way to protect it from the weather... it's been about 5 years and I now have a pile of saw dust... makes me sick that I lost a 50 foot tree because I couldn't turn it fast enough.

Beautiful bowls, both the shape and the grain in the wood.

Thanks again. I did the same thing when I first started. It sucks when you do all that work and it is rotten when you get to it. Here in town the most abundant tree is elm followed by locust. I let them burn the locust and take the elm.

Looking good, Bernie. :thumb: Is the elm in your neck of the woods as hard as the elm I've turned in LA? That stuff was some tool-eating stuff, but it was worth the repeated sharpening to get to the figure.

Thanks again. I did the same thing when I first started. It sucks when you do all that work and it is rotten when you get to it. Here in town the most abundant tree is elm followed by locust. I let them burn the locust and take the elm.

Bernie, take some of the locust too... it turns really nice... I had a honey locust (the one with the 4" thorns sticking out of the bark) that I cut and save some of the bigger pieces... here are a couple of goblets I turned from locust. 40-699-4.JPG40-699.JPG