Cedar Bowl

This is the second bowl the lady wanted. She wanted a small change bowl for their walk-in closet. After seeing it she said it was so beautiful it was going on the dresser. Anyway it is 8 1/2" X 2 1/2". It is being finished with Antique oil.

Attachments

• Cedar Coin Bowl 1.jpg
    Cedar Coin Bowl 1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Cedar Coin Bowl 2.jpg
    Cedar Coin Bowl 2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Cedar Coin Bowl 3.jpg
    Cedar Coin Bowl 3.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 36
Bernie......Very nice. Was there anythng different you did when turning cedar? I have never used it before

That's really nice Bernie... makes me inspired to get some of the cedar (actually think it's juniper) that I have stacked out in my wood pile... it's from three trees that the power company cut on my property because they were leaning over the power lines that crosses behind the house.

Do you have any trouble with the oils in the cedars affecting the finish? I did a couple of bowls last year or year before and the finish stayed sticky for a long long time... the wood was still green at the time... I think what I have now has been cut long enough to be relatively dry.

Thanks again. Dom I don't turn cedar any different than any other wood. I treat it pretty much the same.

Chuck I generally like to let cedar sit for some time before turning it. I try to get a bunch every so often so I have it around all the time. This particular tree was cut into bowl blanks about 3 yrs ago. It actually was stacked and sat in my storage shed. I pulled a few pieces out and let them sit in the shop for a week before turning. It was pretty dry and when I went out this morning the AO is dry and ready for the second coat.

I like the way the ceder looks but for me it's not the easyest to work with. More than likely it's just me. Nice looking bowl Bernie.
Dennis

Thanks. Tom I think the problem with cedar losing color is if it is in direct sunlight. I have a couple of vases and a bowl that I turned a 2 or 3 yrs ago. All have retained there color. My sister has a bowl I turned for her that sits on her kitchen table. It get 2 to 3 hrs of sunlight everyday and it has turned a brown color.