This piece of madrone burl was checking faster than I could turn it. I got it roughed to shape and bathed in DNA for a couple of days, then wrapped it up in newspaper for about a month. I unwrapped it a few days ago and it had cracked like a...well, like something that's cracked a lot. It also had a number of worm holes that seemed to fit with the theme.
I decided to try finish turning it, so I puckered up and and got the outside in pretty nice shape with the bowl gouge. Then I got out my square scraper to smooth out the curves a little bit, and the first touch of the scraper blew the piece up into three chunks, two of which went flying. I put it back together with CA, then finished shaping the outside with the 80 grit gouge. I also decided about then that I wasn't interested in trying to lighten up the rim or finish the inside. I know some guys have turned much more dicey pieces of wood, but I'm new enough to this game that I chicken out pretty easily. In the end, I kind of like the chunky collar, and the wall thickness is actually pretty decently thin.
It's about 5" wide x 4" tall, finished with Antique Oil and de-glossed with 0000 steel wool.
Attachment 5761 Attachment 5762 Attachment 5763 Attachment 5764
Comments and critiques are welcome.