Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoration of Makin Waves

Restoration of Makin Waves

OK, I have put this off as long as I can but this is my next big project. I have talked about it for years but I am a little intimidated by this one. First a little history.

I bought this as an ugly ducking 20 years ago, refinished and did a few repairs to it. Used it several years and then it developed some problems that I did not feel like I could fix. Problem was no competent boat builder will give you a firm price for repairs because till you open the boat up you never know what your getting into.

Here is the original story about finding her. Makin Waves

Fast forward; Not having a ton of money I was afraid of getting into something I could not afford. So she has sat on the trailer under cover for the last 7-8 years now. I have the skills now to fix it but it still scares me a little, but most important I have the shop space so I am not out in the weather! So I am about to pull her in the shop and start the restoration.

Storage has obviously taken its tole on the paint. But it has been covered so while the interior is a mess, it 95% dirt and just needs a major cleaning. There is at least one and maybe two strafes in the hull that have to removed and partially replaced. 3 or 4 ribs that need to be replaced or sister framed. But while I am at it I plan on replacing some of the bright work that I didn't feel comfortable doing the first time. Previous owner did some stupid things and badly stained the wood by stapling upholstery to the wood, and it that wasn't bad enough he use steel staples which rusted and blacked the wood.. Some of brightwork has been painted and obviously want that to go back to a varnished finish.

Other than the hull, it's pretty straight forward work, but I really wonder what I am getting into on the hull!

Oh yea. And the trailer needs some work too.

Here are some photos I shot this morning. Wanted to get some before it came in and I started tearing it apart.

God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

That's big, Jeff... really big. Are you going to have any space to move when you've got that in your shop?!?
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Now you know why I have been cleaning up and moving out (selling) some stuff in the shop. I have a large space so yes. The length is the biggest issue but I will still have 3-4 feet at each end. Once I get it inside I am going to decide where I want it before I take it off the trailer. Obviously once it is in place it isn't going to move.

Croton, Ohio (about a half hour NE of Columbus)
    Shop???? Aren't you supposed to work on a project like that in your basement??

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Bauman View Post
    Shop???? Aren't you supposed to work on a project like that in your basement??

well actually I believe his shop is his basement...lol
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

This oughta be good!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Is everyone in FWW (including me) a bit pixilated??? Or am I seeing the "Cream of the crop?"

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Wow that is only nice old boat, the potential sitting there, with some serious sweat equity, is huge!

So you are going to strip it back to the original wood, get rid of the red paint, right?

How is the drivetrain? Motor rebuild in the works? What does it have for a motor?

That is going to be one heck of a job, but when done, wow, it will be a real beauty!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Actually Stu, this boat came from the factory painted. It is Douglas Fir plywood strips, not mahogany. I think it was originally white with a pale turquoise top strip. Similar in color the the 57 Chevy. The Sea Skiffs were made for use on the coast and the Great Lakes, big water. I have been out in some nasty stuff before and while your going slow, it's an amazingly smooth easy ride. Here is what she looked like 20 years ago and will look like again, just better.

It's a 283 Chevy with a marine conversion of course. I have not cranked it in a long time but it ran perfect so I don't expect any surprises. It's actually pretty low hours on the motor. It has obviously spent a lot of time on the trailer before I got it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boat.jpg  

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I'm envious, I've done a ground up restoration on a 18' Starcraft Aluminum and one on a 17' Imperial Fiberglass, stringers, deck etc....I would luv to find the right wood boat project! The fiberglass was a learning experience I don't wish to tackle again{an itchy messy mess}. The alum. had a fair bit of woodwork, here's a finished shot of it, I did the dash{in R-oak w/mahogany insert}, deck{floor} side-boards, storage, transom, trailer bunks... lots of challenges in both & lots of fun! Have a blast!
    before Click image for larger version. 

Name:	'61 Starcraft 1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	64245 after Click image for larger version. 

Name:	'61 Starcraft.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	64244