Shaving a Tiger?

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Last week, when Toni posted his thread on makeing a spokeshave, I mentioned that I'd ordered a Lee Valley shave kit. I got it last Wednesday, and over the weekend, put this guy together. DSCN0845 (Custom).JPG

The shave body is curly (Tiger) maple, dyed with Transtint Maple dye, then sanded, and dyed again to give it more depth. Over that is just a couple coats of rattle can lacquer.

DSCN0846 (Custom).JPGDSCN0847 (Custom).JPG

For those that want to know, the board that the shave is sitting on in the photo is part of the same board the shave's body came from. Sometimes it's amazing what's under that old rough stuff!

The shavings with the shave are just off some poplar I had laying about.

Last edited:
thats a cutie jim:) and the wood aint bad either:) ought to look into making one of those myslef.. seeing as how toni and now you have done it maybe i can ask enough questions to get it right:)

Very nice Jim, i got both those kits on my wish list at LV. You think one of my family would have added that to the shopping list for Xmas instead of a bunch of brass bolts coming out at around the same value.:huh:

It sure is amazing whats under that rough stuff. You had me completely fooled.

...I assume you drilled all the holes and made the mortises before shaping the handles.

Oh yeah. Had all the fitting done, even tried it out to make sure it worked okay before I started shaping the handles, etc.

BTW, the LV kit comes with an excellent set of instructions (I even read parts of them!), as well as with the tap for the adjustment pieces and enough brass to make a secons sole if you mess up while making the first one... I highly recommend the kit, and I'll be buying another one (for the smaller shave) soon.