Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you have a DSL connection consider doing this.

If you have a DSL connection consider doing this.

Ok so i thought i would post this because it may just help someone with their internet speed. I have a running battle with ole Bell up here about service. But part of their last chance before i jump ship was this change.

What you do is purchase a DSL splitter. This is the pdf for the one Bell supplied made by Corning and approved in US and Canada. Pretty simple things really.

There are many different models out there.

What you do is install this at the location where your phone line enters your home. Then from it you run a separate line to a jack you use just for your dsl modem and the other output from the splitter you can take and tap off all your telephone outlets in the house.

After this you no longer need the line filters that were neccessary on each telephone before.

If you have issues or speed problems that relate to loss of dsl connectivity this may be just the trick for you.

So far so good touch wood.

Now i just got to cut the drywall and install a proper jack for the dsl modem.

Hope it helps someone out there.
    cheers

DSL, that is so 2010

We are full FLETS here baby!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    ummmm my dsl provider did this when I built the house. every phone jack has a seprate set of line for the data. and yes Stu but how much do you pay for your internet service. ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    ummmm my dsl provider did this when I built the house. every phone jack has a seprate set of line for the data. and yes Stu but how much do you pay for your internet service. ?
    Business expense, but I think it is around $40 a month
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Business expense, but I think it is around $40 a month
    And I'm sure it's about 10 times the speed we get here on this side of the pond. Japan has one of the fastest average speeds per user.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    And I'm sure it's about 10 times the speed we get here on this side of the pond. Japan has one of the fastest average speeds per user.
    Well, what do you guys pay a month?

How fast do you guys usually see?

That is fairly normal for me
    William Arthur Ward

Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    DSL, that is so 2010
    We're hoping to get DSL by Spring 2012 if not sooner--construction is underway. I'll be thrilled with a 2 or 3MBPS in practice, ecstatic if it's more. And I'll be quite content with the $60/mo charge after paying $50, $170, then $80+ for 3G over the last 5.5 years and $60 for satellite the 2.5 years before that.

They are coming out Friday to work on noise issues and while the tech is here he's going to run a line to where I want the DSL modem so I am assuming they must follow this practice as well.

I have felt your pain Matt. I've got a pretty good solution right now. Terrestrial wifi, basically, a daisy chain from here to town. I get decent speeds and pings. Not like Stu, but way better than Satellite, which I had for a time...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Even that's not available yet. A company just bought a tower a few miles from us but won't have anything on it until summer. There's a small pocket that's unserved. Cable 1 mile to the south and 2.5 to the north. A few miles west there's fiber to the curb and AT&T has U-verse a few miles to the east.

Funny thing is we are only 8 miles from the city limits of Toledo. My aunt and uncle in very rural Missouri over an hour west of St. Louis have had DSL for 4 or 5 years.