If you have a DSL connection consider doing this.

Rob Keeble

Ok so i thought i would post this because it may just help someone with their internet speed. I have a running battle with ole Bell up here about service. But part of their last chance before i jump ship was this change.

What you do is purchase a DSL splitter. This is the pdf for the one Bell supplied made by Corning and approved in US and Canada. Pretty simple things really.

There are many different models out there.

What you do is install this at the location where your phone line enters your home. Then from it you run a separate line to a jack you use just for your dsl modem and the other output from the splitter you can take and tap off all your telephone outlets in the house.

After this you no longer need the line filters that were neccessary on each telephone before.

If you have issues or speed problems that relate to loss of dsl connectivity this may be just the trick for you.

So far so good touch wood.

Now i just got to cut the drywall and install a proper jack for the dsl modem.

Hope it helps someone out there.

DSL, that is so 2010 :D

We're hoping to get DSL by Spring 2012 if not sooner--construction is underway. I'll be thrilled with a 2 or 3MBPS in practice, ecstatic if it's more. And I'll be quite content with the $60/mo charge after paying $50, $170, then $80+ for 3G over the last 5.5 years and $60 for satellite the 2.5 years before that.

They are coming out Friday to work on noise issues and while the tech is here he's going to run a line to where I want the DSL modem so I am assuming they must follow this practice as well.

I have felt your pain Matt. I've got a pretty good solution right now. Terrestrial wifi, basically, a daisy chain from here to town. I get decent speeds and pings. Not like Stu, but way better than Satellite, which I had for a time...

Even that's not available yet. A company just bought a tower a few miles from us but won't have anything on it until summer. There's a small pocket that's unserved. Cable 1 mile to the south and 2.5 to the north. A few miles west there's fiber to the curb and AT&T has U-verse a few miles to the east.

Funny thing is we are only 8 miles from the city limits of Toledo. My aunt and uncle in very rural Missouri over an hour west of St. Louis have had DSL for 4 or 5 years.

Terrestrial wireless is kind of a hit or miss proposition. A lot of times it's done by small entrepenuers, like in my area. There are 2 guys here that provide service in the valley. I just had gotten tired of satellite's slow ping times and download limits, so just did a search for my valley name and found it was available.

In some places, there are bigger companies, like "Clear Wire" that provide service.

I'd say talk to you neighbors at the new place and look for funny little antennas on their houses.

That's what I'm using. It's a little slow (occasionally a lot slow) but generally works well. The drawback is being limited to 10gb/mo on the top plan and paying $10/gb after that. Our highest bill has been $100. However we do very little streaming video and I try to do any huge downloads away from home.

If there's 4G LTE where you are, that's faster. The modems will automatically choose 4G and roll back to 3G if needed.

Check out 3gstore.com for info on what's available. I think it's a lot better to go with a USB device and a Cradlepoint router, but my neighbors use a Mifi too. There are external antennas as well. I use one but just propping it up in the corner of my office is enough to get a full signal.

Well, what do you guys pay a month?

How fast do you guys usually see?

That is fairly normal for me

Man, Stu...at speeds like that, you must get your email before it's even sent. :eek: :D

I was pleasantly surprised to see the difference in speed between Verizon DSL in LA and Comcast cable in Albuquerque.

LA:

1701801309.png

ABQ:

1701803022.png

So how do you guys post the pics.
I can copy the report but can't seem to paste it into my posts only the link to the report. DO you save it to your local system and then attach?

Garry

So how do you guys post the pics.
I can copy the report but can't seem to paste it into my posts only the link to the report. DO you save it to your local system and then attach?

Garry

You should be able to run the test, click the share results button, then copy the image url using the copy button, finally click the insert image button on the toolbar here and paste in the image url.

1702917563.png