In September of 2010, i came across a 1959 Powermatic 65 that a fellow had gotten from the Springfield Missouri public schools. It still had the inventory stickers on it. (I am amazed at how much old school shop machinery there is floating around out there). I brought it home, knowing i didn't really have the time to get to it right then and there. Normally i don't bring things home unless it fits a real need and i have time to get to it right away - small shop - tight storage space. But this arn disease has apparently progressed to a more severe stage.
This saw had an overarm guard, newer (metalic green not the pea green) factory fence, 1.5 hp 3 phase motor, missing dust door, missing miter gage, a break in the table casting where the fence rail mounts, and worn arbor bearings. Not a basket case, but needing some attention. I did have time to start looking into things and cobbling together some bits and parts i'd need.
Fast forward to the post Christmas lull in the shop. Perfect time to dive into a project for me AND clear up some storage space. I found that, not only were the arbor bearings toast, the arbor pulley had been loose on the shaft, wallowing off about 5 thousandths both from the shaft and the pulley. It's pretty handy that my Dad is a retired journeyman machinist. I ordered a new arbor assembly - he bored and sleeved the tripple pulley for me. He's also repairing the broken riser stop on the arbor casting that keeps it from raising too high.
So far, i've gotten a new 3hp single phase motor, a mag starter, dust door, and a mobile base. The new arbor assembly is on the way, along with a new set of belts. I've disassembled, painted, and tuned up the factory fence, am making the little dust chute that keeps the blade from throwing pitch and dust directly onto the trunnion assembly, stripped and painted the cabinet, turn wheels, and other pieces, and disassembled and cleaned up the internals.
I still have to fix the fence mounting point and repaint the top, come up with a motor cover (the shop made one that came with the saw isn't deep enough for the replacement motor), assemble and install the internals, repaint the overarm guard, wire it up, and put it to use.
This will be a step up from the General International contractor saw i've been using (It's a fine saw, but not quite in the same league as this). I'm pretty excited about how it's coming along. It should be done in a couple of weeks. I will post more pics, but here's the "before" shot in the shop of the previous owner.