80% of the time when designing my own ___________ I....

80% of the time when designing my own____, I...

• wing it.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • work from rough sketches.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • work from hand drawn plans.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • use Sketchup.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • use another drawing software (please specify in a reply).

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • other (please specify in a reply).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Rough sketches. I'll get an idea from books or magazines and adapt it to my needs. I've got a bunch of note books with dozens of projects with more erasures and crossouts than you can imagine :rofl:

Well, I voted in the poll but I guess I don't need to tell anyone how I voted. :D

Dan and Tom, if you want a bit of one-on-one to get you off on the right foot with SketchUp, drop me a PM and I'll get you going. Maybe we can even get both you guys together and do ii for you at the same time.

Well, I voted in the poll but I guess I don't need to tell anyone how I voted. :D

Dan and Tom, if you want a bit of one-on-one to get you off on the right foot with SketchUp, drop me a PM and I'll get you going. Maybe we can even get both you guys together and do ii for you at the same time.

hey dave i am not dan or tom but would like to get this offer if possible, skype works for me or if you have another idea thats fine,, i got further last night than i ever have trying to make a dresser sketch..the link that darren hooked us up to threw google was a very good way for me to get where i got.. still fell down and had to go back and erase some line to make it look pretty but still made some major progress from the last time i tried to do it.

Gee, Larry, I always thought you were Tom in disguise.:rofl: Amazing! You learn something every day.

Sure. We can schedule a time for that. I didn't mean to leave you out. Maybe we can hook up this evening and at least work out a time.

Gee, Larry, I always thought you were Tom in disguise.:rofl: Amazing! You learn something every day.

Sure. We can schedule a time for that. I didn't mean to leave you out. Maybe we can hook up this evening and at least work out a time.

yeah he and i do seem to be similiar in many ways:) sounds good.. will drop you a pm dave

I try sketch up and get the basics down but then don't use it enough to keep them in my mind. I made some clamps to clamp the plastic pipe to my basement wall using sketchup then converting to 2d. Printed them out glued to scrap band sawed the clamps and it worked so well I swore I was a convert. But then I let the to much time lapse and the next time I sit down it was all Greek again.

gary, the last time i had played with sketchup in some manner was to design the shop layout which was over 4 yrs ago.. and after watching the links that darren posted i had a refreshed idea of how to use it and was able to get further last night in one setting than i had ever before,, now i should add that alot of these tools are similar to a program i use at work so it made more sense to me.. which i am sure helped.. but if you have the desire to learn it dont hold back its a powerful program for many different uses

I find myself winging it a lot but when I do drawings I use AutoCAD. I spend my days detailing commercial buildings in AutoCAD so it's pretty natural for me to go that route. I'm more interested in 2D production drawings than a 3D model most of the time so it works out pretty good.

just need to say this..... i was given the chance to have dave richards give me some one on one teaching and i have to say that his guy is amazing at teaching as well.. he spent 3hrs going threw a project and showing me the ins and outs of sketchup... thank you dave and the this forum for having the unselfish atmosphere!!!!

just need to say this..... i was given the chance to have dave richards give me some one on one teaching and i have to say that his guy is amazing at teaching as well.. he spent 3hrs going threw a project and showing me the ins and outs of sketchup... thank you dave and the this forum for having the unselfish atmosphere!!!!

Welcome to the fold. :welcome: