Thread: Sign Project

Sign Project

As part of my booth project I'm building a sign that will be lit using LED strips built into the frame.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BuzzKCPhoto_Sign.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	64330

The LED strips will sit in two dado's cut in the base piece.

Name:	BuzzKCPhoto_Sign3.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	64332

The electronics will be housed in the space between the two signs.

Name:	BuzzKCPhoto_Sign2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	64331

In the bottom piece that frames the glass/plexi, I'll have two mortises for allowing the light from the LED's to shine up from below through the glass, illuminating the signs.

Name:	BuzzKCPhoto_Sign4.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	64333

Was a fun project for SU, first time use of imported graphics and use of materials (glass). Lets hope it turns out as well as it looks in SU.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    How can that not be cool... it has my initials on it
    Looking forward to seeing it, all lit up in it's glory!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Thats cool Darren and being a sign man from a past life I can put my stamp of approval. Are you going to use cut vinyl for the lettering anf the film strip. Any good sign shop can provide that then all you need to do is stick it onto the poly.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Thanks guys. The signs are already printed on poster paper and will sit behind the glass. I haven't worked with the LED strips before, but they aren't suppose to get hot at all. They are RGB LED's so, they can also be programmed to display in millions of colors.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Cool Darren. Recently used some led strip to repair the light bar in the trunk mounted tailight strip on sons Honda civic.
    New light bar cost $$90 my version cost $7.50 = 1.5 ft of light strip from surplus store.
    Old strip ...leds mounted old school style .....pin through hole....all leds had broken off due to mechanical vibration and rust.
    New strip completely encapsulated in a flexible transparent epoxy that also doubles as a bit if a lens but mostly protective of the smd leds. Best new discrete device i have seen in years. The ideas and options this stuff brings up are numerous cool thing is you can cut it and solder power wires anywhere along a strip.

With regards to your sign where do you intend putting it?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    With regards to your sign where do you intend putting it?
    Hopefully over the booth, but will depend on the height of the ceiling in the room since the booth is 8' tall, otherwise I'll hang it on the side or set it on the table, just depends on the layout of the room and where it can be seen and not distractive to the customer's guests.

I like the fact it it low voltage, water proof, and bugs aren't attracted to LED's; I may have to see if I can incorporate it into the coping around my pool this next spring/summer. We don't currently have a pool light, so it may be just the ticket.
    Darren