Construction stds

Rob Keeble

From what i have learnt studs have two standard spacings. 24" and 16" on centers.
Ok if i am correct that puts the distance to center on three studs space 24" at 48".
So why if you were selling something to be mounted on our walls with that something being heavy enough to warrant being mounted on a stud would you space the mounting holes at 44.5" apart.
Either i dont get it or this manufacturer dont get it.

Can anyone point out what i am missing here.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

From what i have learnt studs have two standard spacings. 24" and 16" on centers.
Ok if i am correct that puts the distance to center on three studs space 24" at 48".
So why if you were selling something to be mounted on our walls with that something being heavy enough to warrant being mounted on a stud would you space the mounting holes at 44.5" apart.
Either i dont get it or this manufacturer dont get it.

Can anyone point out what i am missing here.

And you forgot 12" OC and 19" OC Mind ya it still don't work with your 44.5 but it works for sheetrock and plywood:thumb:

If your talking about a Tv mount then you can put a chunk of ply up first and then attach it to that. That way you get the proper attachment to the studs. Unless they are expecting the wall to be sheeted in ply and then it makes all the sence in the world.

And your math is off. Center to center of three studs 24" OC would be 48"
center to center of three studs 16" OC would be 32":thumb:
I don't know Ed we are in need of a Canadian Builder to answer that. Eh:thumb::thumb:

Thanks all for the responses. Chuck my math was not off you understood exactly what i said. Yeah 48 would be center.

I dont think its metric Ed it is manufactured in the US and comes from US and generally not sold outside the US.

Its ok i solved my needs i was just wanting to make sure i aint lost it completely. I reckon they made it smaller to be able to have it mount on something else that mounts on the studs.

Sorry i aint showing pictures or disclosing more this is business related and under the covers at present.

As for Canadian builders i think they all use imperial i dont see 2x4s here the way Stu gets them in Japan. But Baltic Birch plywood certainly comes in metric sizes here.

Chuck when is 16 OC used and when is 24 oc used.

And i never heard of 12" and 19" before whats the history to those or are they still used today for specific application?

Last edited:
My take on it Rob. 16 oc is just good building 24 oc is for the guy to cheap to buy the studs he needs to do the job right. 19 oc just showed up around here a few years ago when some smart guy thought hey this would be fun I'll do it 19 oc and everything still works and I save a stud. And 12 oc is most common with the engineered stuff. They can't seem to figure out how to make it work at 16 oc so we'll just stay with 12 oc. Rather than engineer it to work at 16 oc. But at least it's the most expansive stuff to frame with and you have to use twice as much. Now the greenies have decided that a good green home has less framing almost to the point of that the frame will not be able to hold up the house. things like 2' oc and reducing the size of headers, dropping the number of sills and jacks. all in the name of making the thermal bridge from framing less.

On the other hand, I would say much the same thing as Chuck, but put a totally opposite spin on it, Rob! :wave:

24 OC is all you need when framing with 2x6 lumber. So it saves on labour, saves on material, and you get much better insulation. :dunno:

(On the other hand, when my builder put up our addition over the garage, he used 2x4 at 16"oc, but then wrapped 1" sheets of styrofoam around the entire outside, which also helps kill thermal bridging and improves insulation values. There's usually more than one way to skin a cat. Were I building my dream home I'd be looking at SIPs...)