Thread: Compound Miter

Compound Miter

So I got a pretty nice gift from a buddy when he gave me his 12" compound miter saw by craftsman, but it hit the wall the other day so I am in the market. I just recently bought the Bosch 4100-G table saw, so I am not looking to spend a ton, probably under $200. Any advice or recommendations from you guys? I'm also not sure if I want to go 10" or 12" and sliding or not.
    Let me know your feelings on that too!!

ABQ NM
    Jack, I'm not much help on miter saws (I've just got a low-end Delta), but I think within the price range you're looking at, you'll have a hard time finding a slider that's worth using. I've seen good reviews of the Hitachi non-sliding compound miter saws, and I think they have one or two 10" models that are within your budget. I'm sure others will chime in with more experienced advice.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Delton, Michigan
    i would agree that for the money your looking at ,your gonna be hard pressed to get a good one and i would stay with a 10" just to keep the price down and the accuracy is usually better on the smaller saws.

a possibilty, more money but nice saw.. LINK
    Last edited by larry merlau; 01-13-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    I assume you are cutting a lot of long narrow stock like crown molding and such if you require a mitersaw. I also agree that a reliable slider in that price range doesn't exist. I would concnetrate on non-sliders and get a better, more accurate saw. Capacity won't help you if the cuts are poor. If you are working with shorter stock a sled on the tablesaw will beat the CMS every time. I have a 10" DeWalt that does what it is supposed to very well but, I only use it about once every couple of years if I am doing trim work. Otherwise I don't see the need for it.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Yea I probably need to work on a crosscut sled for my table saw, probably worth saving some cash now.