Thread: Finishing

I live in Arizona and don't have to put up with a lot of the cold like most of you. My shop is unheated and because of this I tend to not do any finishing in the evening. What if any differance is there if I do finish pieces in the colder temps? Mostly I use Mylands Antique Oil.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Dennis, I to live in Arizona and on a day like today I wouldn't even try to finish anything. Pretty much don't bother trying if the temp is below 60 and preferably above 70.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

sydney australia
    Gloss finish is better with high or hot temps, satin may well need warmth to go off depending what type it is. I use WOP a lot and sometimes bring it into the house to go off over night if its wet and cold in the shed.

ABQ NM
    Same as Don, in Southern California I'll typically try to get the shop temp to 60º or more before trying to use a film finish like Antique Oil. Sometimes all it takes is my little electric space heater, but if it's too cold, I've run into curing problems.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Delton, Michigan
    another vote for above 65º
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thomasville, GA
    If we're having cold weather over here, I turn on a couple of small electric heaters to get the shop and materials up to 60° before wiping or spraying. If it's the first level of finish using an oil rub, I allow 3-4 days before sealing, whereas in warmer weather it might take only 2 days.

Down here, I might actually have more of an issue spraying in warm or hot weather if it gets real humid. There have been times that I had to wait a couple of days for a weather system to change to spray lacquer.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.