Finishing

Dennis Kranz

I live in Arizona and don't have to put up with a lot of the cold like most of you. My shop is unheated and because of this I tend to not do any finishing in the evening. What if any differance is there if I do finish pieces in the colder temps? Mostly I use Mylands Antique Oil.
Dennis

Gloss finish is better with high or hot temps, satin may well need warmth to go off depending what type it is. I use WOP a lot and sometimes bring it into the house to go off over night if its wet and cold in the shed.

Same as Don, in Southern California I'll typically try to get the shop temp to 60º or more before trying to use a film finish like Antique Oil. Sometimes all it takes is my little electric space heater, but if it's too cold, I've run into curing problems.

If we're having cold weather over here, I turn on a couple of small electric heaters to get the shop and materials up to 60° before wiping or spraying. If it's the first level of finish using an oil rub, I allow 3-4 days before sealing, whereas in warmer weather it might take only 2 days.

Down here, I might actually have more of an issue spraying in warm or hot weather if it gets real humid. There have been times that I had to wait a couple of days for a weather system to change to spray lacquer.