Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking shows

Woodworking shows

I have been to the Indianapolis version of the woodworking show that travels across our country each year. They always had a $2.00 discount coupon to download to be used on the $10.00 entry fee. Now the price is up to $12.00 per person and you can only use a $2.00 coupon for every two tickets purchased. I always go by myself so I guess I'm out of luck with that now. This is getting pretty expensive as far as I'm concerened. I think they just priced themselves out of a customer.

EDIT: I am wrong about the $2.00 coupon.......it can be used per each ticket.
    Last edited by Tom Baugues; 01-16-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

To me it hasn't been the same since I first started going. First, the biggest vendor at our show, went from a decent vendor, to a glorified HF, before closing up and selling the show stands to other vendors. Then, most things I have gone for, are not available there, they have to ship them to you (and in a lot of cases, you can get it for the same price without going).

Lastly Kreg has a booth, that my father and I go to the show, so he can get his screw order filled. Well last year, they stopped bringing most of his order, and brought the stuff that is easier to find. I was half tempted to go, but just blew that money on a toy car.

Well I hadn't been for several years and intended to go to it in Baltimore a week ago. Wife was going with me for the first time. We were both sick all week so missed it again. Also noticed it took two to get any discount.Still wish I had felt like going. Suspect I saved more than 12.00 by missing it.
    Garry

I went to the Portland show abut 15 years ago and have wanted to attend another for a long time. Only once, about 10 years ago, have they been to Boise and that was a disappointment. Every year I semi-plan to attend either the Sacramento or Portland shows, and every year something else is happening and I don't make it.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Depending on your reasons for wanting to go, be prepared to be disappointed. They are no longer what they used to be. Expenses and logistics being what they are, that is not surprising. It is very costly to ship in product and staff a show. Yet attendees expect sale prices over a brick and motor store. Cannot happen any longer, sorry. Said from the perspective of one who used to 'do' these shows as a featured demonstrator. Now demonstrators are brought in by the vendors - sometimes - and you lose the non-biased demonstration. People like me are no longer hired to do a show. OK with me, because I retired from that sort of thing.

Further, manufacturers no longer do the small woodworking shows, spending their money at the big show in Atlanta or Las Vegas once a year. Local vendors are solicited for the woodworking shows and for many that has been a tough sell, because then they have the expense of a brick and mortar store AND the expense of hauling stock to a show and staffing it. Sort of hard to offer bargains under those circumstances.

The cost of getting in is largely due to the cost of the venue (place the show is held) and the cost of parking goes directly to the venue. The promoter used to make their money on the vendor spaces, but the number of them have gone down drastically over the last few years. Thus the profit margin is much reduced from years past.

The reality is that people go to see what is available and for how much. Then they shop for price, usually on the internet. Nothing wrong about that, but no one is in business to lose money.

Shows are fun if you go to meet other woodworking buddies and roam around to get a touchy feely approach to tools. Often you can learn new things and that adds to the fun as well. But don't go to try to save bunches of money on your purchases. Shows don't exist to save you money. Shows exist to make money for the promoters. Bottom line, folks.
    Last edited by Carol Reed; 01-16-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

We're close to mid-way between Atlanta and Tampa, two locations for The Woodworking Shows this year. We last attended a show 5-6 years ago and are considering going this time. The couple of dollars change in cost is not an issue. We'll probably do the Tampa show because we can stay with friends down there and make a long weekend of it. I'd like to see some of the guys I knew down there but really haven't kept in touch, so mostly it would be to look around and do the touchy-feely on tools I don't need!
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 01-16-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    We haven't had a woodworking show in the Arizona in 5 years, the closest one is the Las Vegas show so I guess I'll have to make the sacrifice and go to vegas.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

got to agree with the lack of quality in them, went to one in indy several years ago and was over whelemed with it, went to the novi show 2 yrs in a row and the second time it was flop as was the grand rapids shows no vendors as carol points out and the total picture was much less value.. as for a real show the atlanta show the big one if you can get into it would something to see.. or that one that ken werner goes to with the big guys there or there was also one in kentucky near paduka that was a stand out show i believe.. the tool king circuit to me is a waste of time now days.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I went to the one in Springfield, Mass this past Saturday. I have not been in a long time and was, as others, not overly impressed. I spent a long time looking for something to spend my money on but only found a few small things. Lee Valley was there. The Crazy Cannadian was funny and pretty good. Kreg, Carter, Taunton Press, Craft Supplies, Woodcraft and a few others. Several "carnival barker" types also. Not much in the way of great deals though.

The $2 off coupon is good for a single ticket. The wording is confusing though.
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post

The $2 off coupon is good for a single ticket. The wording is confusing though.
    Don you are correct on this. I DID read it wrong. Thank you for pointing that out. I dont like passing on bad information.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!