Cutting Laminated Counter Top..***Final Stages***

Greg Cook

I'm installing a premade laminate counter top in our laundry room and need some advice on cutting it to length. Has anyone here done this before?

I need to cut just shy of 2 feet off.

I have a DeWalt 36T thin kerf finish blade...will this be OK?

I found an article with a jig that seems to be a good way, but would like to hear from those who have done this before.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

Thanks.

Last edited:
Every time I've ever seen the subject come up, "cut long and belt-sand to length" seems to be the winner. I'm not sure it's possible to get a clean cut with the backsplash already attached.

greg, lee and rennie are both right......cut from the bottom........if you`re good and the stars are aligned right you might get a servicable edge off the saw.......if not beltsand being sure to pull the laminate into the substraight...tod

Thanks guys,

I've just about got the jig built. I'll also put masking tape on the laminate side, but cut from the back...a bit long and sand.

Last edited:
Hi Greg,
I just trimmed up an edge on this corner counter top I found with the Festool TS 55 and rail. I cut about two inches off the end. I did it from the bottom as you suggested and it made a baby smooth cut on wood and laminate.
If you have a good guide and a good blade you shouldn't have any problem.

(Oop's) I did take the back Splash off so I didn't have that to worry about. I'm not going to use it in my project.

DT

Last edited:
I cut the bottom side, with skilsaw.
Cut the backsplash first, then the counter area.
Chance of the backsplash snapping off if you do it the other way around.
Turning it over, repositioning, etc.

Here's where it's going. We're doing a remodel..room by room. Almost finished with the powder room, and the laundry room is next. New paint, wallpaper, chair rail, flooring and the new counter top, sink and faucet.

Questions on cutting the backsplash... There are 3 short MDF boards on the back of the backsplashabout 8" long, spaced out along the width.

I'm cutting the top at 53 1/8" there will not be a board at that spot. Should glue a sacraficial board where I'm going to cut to aid in the stability while I do it?

I marked the counter top for the sink, took it to the shop and cut the hole.

The sink fits good, but the front lip raises up a bit in the front. You can push it down with you hand, but the clamping points for the sink are only in the corners.

I'm thinking of gluing some wood along the front underside edge of sink and then screw a clamping piece to pull the front down. Will regular Yellow glue or TiteBondIII work to bond the wood to the plastic sink, or will I have to use some kind of epoxy or something...?

Sink and faucets are in! Also installed a sprayer (came with the faucet set). I got a 1" circle saw bit at HD and cut the additional 2 holes needed to install everything.